Author Topic: Rancho Leonero  (Read 2711 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Rancho Leonero
« on: June 09, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »
From the first Fred Hall show I ever attended back in the 90's, I've always wanted to fish Rancho Leonero.  It never happened since Cabo was still sort of a sleepy town and I got my fix in with other Baja staples.  Now that everything has exploded into full tourism, the quiet spots outgrew themselves...  I had a trip planned for Baja de Los Angles this week, but driving 10 hours down seemed a little sketchy at this time.  Flying down somewhere and then getting a van to the resort sounds much safer than 10 hours of open road.  In any case, I cancelled my trip down and was pretty bummed.

Well out of the blue, Squatch mentions he's been thinking about a fishing trip down in Baja, and within a week the reservations are set!  I didn't hesitate as I need to get away really Bad!  My wife was bummed as I said I just booked a vacation and her response is "Where we going?".  I replied with "I'm going to Rancho Leonero, you'll be here in sweet San Diego".  hahaha, that didn't go over real well, but I promised her we'd take a great vacation next year for our 20th anniversary.

I've been in a pretty dark spot the last few years and the thoughts of Roosterfish and 7 miles of private fishing beach has me riding a wave that I haven't felt in quite a while!  Squatch mentioned some spotted eagle rays, so he might have a chance to really have one as his "signature picture" rather than that Mission Bay one that threw people for a loop!  lol

Anyone have a travel rod case you're not using?  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Rancho Leonero
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 07:56:31 AM »
Good luck, I used to love Mulege and Loreto.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:18:16 AM »

I suggested loreto but I’m not mad at the east cape. Looking forward to it.

Anyone been recently?

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 03:51:37 PM »
Don't know nothing about south of the border, all I can say is have fun guys and good  luck   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 05:50:09 PM »
East Cape sounds awesome. I got sketched out of a drive down to Loreto last summer. Haven't heard of Rancho Leonero before but looks like it's in a prime location. Have fun!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 08:27:28 PM »
 Your wife will clean the garage while you vacation in Mexico without her :P  Be safe and have fun, pics should be great 8)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 09:45:15 AM »

I suggested loreto but I’m not mad at the east cape. Looking forward to it.

Anyone been recently?

You'll always have Loreto, for now. The Ranch is closing after this year. John sold it. Hope you guys fish the hell out of it!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 06:53:54 AM »
You'll always have Loreto, for now. The Ranch is closing after this year. John sold it. Hope you guys fish the hell out of it!

I didn't know this until yesterday, so it just made this trip that much more special.  This was a bucket list place for me and I would have been really pissed if I never got to go.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 06:42:21 PM »
Well technically there is the new Four Seasons next door. But for probably four times the cost.  ;D John will still have his shack down there and could hook you up with the pangeros.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »
hope you get some roosterfish
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 07:39:02 PM »
hope you get some roosterfish

Me too!  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 08:17:31 AM »
I feel like I'll be bringing more fishing gear than clothes.  I need to figure out what I'm bringing and fine tune.  (The panga will have equipment, but I'm thinking surf and kayak)

So many options to shoot for....

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 11:51:16 AM »
Bring some sabikis to load up your species list, on top of all the iron and hardbaits you’ll probably bring.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 02:54:04 PM »
Bring some sabikis to load up your species list, on top of all the iron and hardbaits you’ll probably bring.

I forgot about sabikis.  Good call!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »
Right on the front page of the mexican-fish.com website the author mentions his extensive experience with all the variety and it made me realize I need to spend at least 50% of my next trip to Mexico fishing with a sabiki.

I use almost exclusively Sabiki rigs with Size 2, 4, 6 or 1/0 hooks, tipped or not tipped with cut squid, and explore the bottom. A key here is make sure your line strength is at least 40/30. Both Pata and Barco fish for “big fish” using more traditional approaches, such as yo-yo iron, fly-lined live bait, and trolling. Barco and I catch a lot of fish, for example 1,898 fish of 86 different species, in 65 panga trips during calendar 2015.

https://mexican-fish.com/