Author Topic: Ray Here, Bass There 12/12  (Read 1406 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Ray Here, Bass There 12/12
« on: December 13, 2021, 08:04:45 PM »
Went back to Newport back bay with some time to kill. Same thing as last time: small morsels of squid on a sputnik c-rig. This time it was an outgoing tide. No wind but pretty cold at about 50ºF.

Started getting bites on my first cast. Broke off midcast in the middle of my braid on my 2nd cast. WTF! Retied and sent it back out. Got a round ray. Sent it back with no pic.

The bites dwindled and I lost two more sputniks during a cast and to structure. I've never lost more than 1 during a session so I'm pretty blown away. Ordered more 3oz from ebay while I was still there.

After I popped the last one off along with the rest of my rig, I had nothing more, so I decided to arrive early to meeting up with my lady. She works on one of the harbor cruise ships so I went over there and threw a 3" watermelon grub around the docks. 10 casts in I got a thump, set the hook, and a nice spotty lit up in the shallow water as I watched it try to drag me into some pilings. Tightened down the drag on my little spinning reel and horsed it up. Solid 14"er. Then I had to go find the lady and show her my trophy! She couldn't come out so I took a pic and she's in the background folding linens.

Got another bump and that was that before she got off work and we left for donuts.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 08:28:08 PM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Here, Bass There 12/12
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 09:23:26 PM »
14'' Spotty on light tackle is a fun fight, nice way to end the evening  8)