Author Topic: 11/13 La Jolla AM  (Read 3663 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
11/13 La Jolla AM
« on: November 13, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
Out the door at graylight, on the water at dawn. Clear skies, glassy seas, low 60's SST, small surf but got soaked anyway.

Went toward the bait grounds to load up. Not much on the meter. Didn't see any macks but the micronito and winter coats are still puddling around. As the dawn rose to daylight it revealed streaks of that dreaded red tide. No wonder no bait. Also noticed the lobster guys have moved an overwhelming number of their traps elsewhere.

Poked around and noticed the red tide dissapated out deeper. Outside112ft it was dark green again. Nothing much on the meter still. Birds were out and about but not quite doing their thing. Decided to look deep in the canyon where I scored last time.

On the way there I ran over 2 different marks. Huge single arch. Shark maybe? Tried to entice them but went 0 for 2.

Got to the AO soon after, zoomed in on the bottom, and went to work. Instant bite on the first drop produced and small scorpion fish. By the time I released it I was off the spot. Drift was perpendicular to the particular structure I was working so that meant 1 drop then reset my position again.

Worked the area pulling assorted shorts and keepers. Bit both the jig and squid that I wisely brought along. Reds from 300 to 350ft. Bocaccio from 250 to 300ft. Lots of shrimp getting coughed up. Every now and then schools of candybar macks would cruise through covering the entire middle column. Nabbed a couple just in case.

While fishing the area the big cattle boat came and set up a drift behind myself and another kayaker. The other guy and myself were working the drop off as that's what initially lit up our screens. The cattle boat worked the flat area of nothing, giant deserted no man's land, not even a sanddab to be found area.  ;D All that fish finding equipment and day in and day out knowledge and they set up precisely opposite of where they should. They fired up their engines pretty quick after that to move and right on cue I pull my biggest bocaccio as they drive by. Hidden and out of sight of course.  ;)

Anyway, they dissappear into the horizon. Paddling back to the spot after every drop took up a lot of time. After about 90 minutes the bite all of a sudden stopped. Tried different nearby areas and different depths but it just shut down altogether.

Decided to swing back to the shallows dragging a mack to see if the red tide moved out. Saw some bait marks on the bottom but nothing substantial to pay attention to. Saw more puddlers and occupied myself wrangling a handful of micronito before drifting back into the thick area of the red tide. Went to wind my mack in and had a winter checker coated calico go airborn chasing my mack. Absolutely determined!

Had enough of the stained water and called it quits. Uneventful landing over cruising leopards in the shallows. Loaded up and drove up the hill. Had a good view the contrast between red tide and normal water. Hope it drifts away soon.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: 11/13 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 07:53:26 PM »
Good to hear macks and micronito are still around down there. Quality report as always!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 06:52:22 AM »
That pretty much summed up what we saw also Len.  Fought hard for 12 macks, Red tide is thick in spots, but we caught 3 or 4 dozen medium bass to keep us busy.
Oh, and Squatch got a Skrilla-bar at the very end.  The whitefish was all lit up.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:33 AM »
 Would have loved to stumble across the micronito. Love that shark bait.

Probably the prettiest Skrilla fish I ever caught.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
The Leo schools in LJ are always a cool sight, hope the water clears up soon for you guys ;)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 05:01:32 AM »
Always enjoy your reports, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect