Author Topic: Slapping the MB Spotties (3/3)  (Read 2201 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Slapping the MB Spotties (3/3)
« on: March 04, 2022, 03:58:11 PM »
I saw the tide was coming in pretty good and it was the day prior to the storm, so seemed to be a perfect time to get out and fish some rocks.  Timing was thankfully textbook!
I caught 6 spotties on the 3.5" swimbait in fairly short order.  Maybe 1 fish per 8 casts.

I switched to the underspin to see f I could call up an exotic like a corvina or halibut, but after 30 casts, I didn't have a single hit.  At this point I already had 6 fish under my belt, so I switched out the underspin with a 1/2 weedless head and a 4" MC swimbait... Wow!  I literally cast right where I was casting the underspin and got one right away.

I was at the right place at the right time because I was getting a fish every two casts!  I barely moved 10 feet and caught 17!!!

They were inhaling it!

There were a couple of nicer grade bass in the mix also.

All I had to do was move 10 feet down and it was like a totally new fresh spot!

The Procure "Cheater Sauce" was making them inhale it.

Eel grass was they key.  I tried using a jig with no weed guard because I lost a few fish and decided it was the weed guard knocking them off, but just always got weeded, so went back to the 1/2 oz weed guard jig head.

The next hit and I think I get snagged, but realized it was a butt!  Looked like a 24" model, but it was in all the floating dead eel grass at the rocks edge and I tried to flip it up, but soon as i put my hand in the water, the line just snapped and I watched it swim away with my last 4" MC Light Bluegill.  I tried to pick another color and had one 1/2 oz lead head left, so went with the Light Grunion.  Next cast and it worked!

I’m at 27 bass and Dave calls me again, so I took a break and filled him in with the hot fishing.  As I was talking to him, I was still fishing and trying to get my last 3!  I literally missed 3 while talking to him, so had to go as I had the number 30 in my head and wanted to reach my lofty goal!

The next 35 minutes were long and painful as I got two more around 9” and finally got #30!  Jeez, that seemed to take forever after having such wide open fishing just an hour before!

Well, I lost the entire story while typing it somehow so I had to type it up again.  Sorry if there are any redundancies or just confusing phrases as It ticked me off that everything disappeared for no reason and I had to think it all over again.  lol

Well, thanks for reading!  Making the most out of my time off!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Slapping the MB Spotties (3/3)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »
That gets my juices flowing. Great session.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 10:22:57 PM »
Honey hole!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 03:39:07 AM »
Totally awesome session Tom.  The last time I had a 30 fish day was using a sibiki for mackerel   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »
The calm before the storm was pretty active, nice outing 8)

Mr Bones

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 09:41:48 AM »
Great report! I love the way spotties are so grumpy for a species that pretty much has never had to swim in current. Is it just me but when I get bass thumb from lipping spotties my thumb gets extra inflamed!  :-[ Either it’s just me or spotties have something in their mouths that is not human friendly.
One Day at a Time

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 09:52:50 AM »
Great report! I love the way spotties are so grumpy for a species that pretty much has never had to swim in current. Is it just me but when I get bass thumb from lipping spotties my thumb gets extra inflamed!  :-[ Either it’s just me or spotties have something in their mouths that is not human friendly.

I think it's because they grab shrimp, crabs and clams from the bay mud. There's lots of nasty stuff in there and probably gets it's mouth a little toxic. It probably is what makes bass thumb a little worse than the other bass.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 08:17:41 PM »

I think it's because they grab shrimp, crabs and clams from the bay mud. There's lots of nasty stuff in there and probably gets it's mouth a little toxic. It probably is what makes bass thumb a little worse than the other bass.

Interesting theory.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 06:54:02 AM »

Interesting theory.

I've noticed it before and thought of possible reasons, but could only come up with this as a more viable one.  I also used to think it was always in my head which could also be the case.  lol

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 03:56:29 PM »

Interesting theory.

I've noticed it before and thought of possible reasons, but could only come up with this as a more viable one.  I also used to think it was always in my head which could also be the case.  lol

I’ve never been in a hot calico bite in a bay so I can’t speak from experience, but maybe at the very least it’s just getting bass thumb with SoCal harbor water that makes for more inflamation.