Author Topic: 4/2 grunion run surf fishing  (Read 2155 times)

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
4/2 grunion run surf fishing
« on: April 03, 2022, 10:38:36 AM »
First post here

Got to the beach a little before 8pm on an incoming tide. Conditions seemed nice at first, very small surf and not much grass on my practice casts, but after I put my first bait in the water is when i realized the current was pretty bad. 10oz sputnik was getting swept away. Did my best to deal with it though and finally managed to get a bait to stick. Not too long after, the grunion started making a showing.

Just as my dad and I got done talking about how we would probably walk away empty handed because of how pitiful the fishing has been this year even with all this bait around right now, I look up at my rod and watch it get hammered. Jump up and grab the rod, and after the first headshake I could tell it was a soupfin. After a hard but quick fight on 100lb casting tackle, my dad got a hold of her tail and got her onto the beach. Took the hook out, got some terrible pictures and released it. Didn't measure it with a tape but it was just over a wingspan so it was about 70-71 inches. Smaller bait was the ticket, half a mackerel. Took a break from the whole huge mackerels, whole bonitos, bullet tunas, and hand sized bonito heads and yellowtail heads with a 10oz spider weight.

Fished another bait after that and got bit again but this time it bit right behind the hook and left just the head. Big puncture marks and the head was sliced in half. One more bait after that to soak while we packed up and then we left.

Nice to get on one again, the only other fish I have caught this year was a big leopard shark on new year's day. After that, absolutely nothing. And I've been fishing 1-2 times a week every single week everywhere between San Diego and Los Angeles county. And I thought last year was bad.

Don't know how to insert a picture but if I figure it out I will put one in.

Surf: 1-2ft, tide: high, bait: mackerel, approximately 70 inches, county: San Diego, don't know the moon phase.
Farmer's only

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: 4/2 grunion run surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »
Welcome to the sight.

Seems fishing has got worse very year.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
Welcome to the sight

Your spelling ain't so good  ;D, welcome to PS my man.  Hopefully you can figure out the picture posting
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 06:48:11 PM »
I looked at the word “sight” too long and now it looks like it’s German or something.

Willkomen auf der PS!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 05:36:19 AM »
First post here

Got to the beach a little before 8pm on an incoming tide. Conditions seemed nice at first, very small surf and not much grass on my practice casts, but after I put my first bait in the water is when i realized the current was pretty bad. 10oz sputnik was getting swept away. Did my best to deal with it though and finally managed to get a bait to stick. Not too long after, the grunion started making a showing.

Just as my dad and I got done talking about how we would probably walk away empty handed because of how pitiful the fishing has been this year even with all this bait around right now, I look up at my rod and watch it get hammered. Jump up and grab the rod, and after the first headshake I could tell it was a soupfin. After a hard but quick fight on 100lb casting tackle, my dad got a hold of her tail and got her onto the beach. Took the hook out, got some terrible pictures and released it. Didn't measure it with a tape but it was just over a wingspan so it was about 70-71 inches. Smaller bait was the ticket, half a mackerel. Took a break from the whole huge mackerels, whole bonitos, bullet tunas, and hand sized bonito heads and yellowtail heads with a 10oz spider weight.

Fished another bait after that and got bit again but this time it bit right behind the hook and left just the head. Big puncture marks and the head was sliced in half. One more bait after that to soak while we packed up and then we left.

Nice to get on one again, the only other fish I have caught this year was a big leopard shark on new year's day. After that, absolutely nothing. And I've been fishing 1-2 times a week every single week everywhere between San Diego and Los Angeles county. And I thought last year was bad.

Surf: 1-2ft, tide: high, bait: mackerel, approximately 70 inches, county: San Diego, don't know the moon phase.

Welcome to the boards boss and we totally feel the pain for a slow year!  Congrats on getting the 3rd shark on the 2022 board!  By this time we should have seen 20+ ON the boards.

Congrats again and welcome!  Thanks for the post and hopefully this gets everyone fired up to keep hitting the surf.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 05:38:32 AM »
Welcome to the sight.

Seems fishing has got worse very year.

Is this really Bing (Cav's Arch Enemy) in a Kogahead disguise?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 05:39:53 AM »
I looked at the word “sight” too long and now it looks like it’s German or something.

Willkomen auf der PS!

Well done Jeremy!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 08:58:57 AM »
F@#$%^G Spellcheck!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 06:46:57 PM »
First post here

Welcome to the boards boss and we totally feel the pain for a slow year!  Congrats on getting the 3rd shark on the 2022 board!  By this time we should have seen 20+ ON the boards.

Congrats again and welcome!  Thanks for the post and hopefully this gets everyone fired up to keep hitting the surf.  8)

This year has definitely been painfully slow but I think things will be picking up. A popular OC spot started producing a few soupfins and big rays and surprisingly a small sevengill within the last few weeks. Just a matter of putting in the time in at the right spots.
Farmer's only

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 06:45:51 AM »
Joey, I'll get your shark up on the list this week.  I've been overwhelmingly busy at the moment but will get it on there. Thanks for the patience.