Author Topic: PM Cattle Boat tips?  (Read 2139 times)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
PM Cattle Boat tips?
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »
Going out on a twilight boat for some fishing on Friday. Wondering if I can get some tips on getting a shark while I'm out.
Figured I would setup with the standard high low with Mac heads. Just going to put the line out and tie my pole to the rail until something pulls. Question is how deep should I keep it at.
When I've gone on a cattle boat before I've always wondered where the sharks are. You are generally over structure, at night, with lots of distressed fish in the water.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Keith

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: PM Cattle Boat tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
Good morning Keith. 

Let me start by saying I saw 4 makos swimming around the fleet this past weekend as they were all in looking for the bonito.  Letting a bonito head drift out with the current on a heavy rig and that would be a way to get a mako or some other type shark.  There is a good chance you will be anchored up over some structure looking for bass and rockfish, so just keep feeding line out.

Option two would be using a dropper loop with a half a mack.  At the point where you are on the boat, a half a mack will draw more attention to the bait if you guys are however over structure.  Big shot at Soupfin Shark, Sevengill and Black Sea Bass with that type of set up.

What boat are you going out on?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Going out on the Freelance out of Newport.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
Gotta hold your rod. It's everyones rail and both crew and people will be moving around. An obstruction on the rail is also a safety hazard.

Mack heads on a local sportie sounds like a great way to feed sea lions.

On offshore trips when we spend the night on water guys would throw chunk bait ( whole side slab or steaked macks ) and let it slowly sink. Lots of blues and makos taken that way but then we didn't have sea lions stalking us. On island trips I've also seen guys throw out live macks with a slash on it's tail. Wounded soilder I think they called it. Those did as good on sharks, fish, and sea lions about as equally.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
Had a good fishing trip on the Frelance last night. The half day AM boat had a large Mako on the line but eventually got cut off. So my hopes were for a Mako.
It was pretty much wide open bite on a variety of fish. Macs were constantly around the boat. On the bottom there was lots of short bass and sculpin. There was one sheep head, one Bonito, and a few legal bass. I caught the most unusual thing, probably because I was fishing with Mac chunks.  I caught a 40" eel and a small octopus.
With about 30 people on the boat it wasn't too crowded. I left one rod tied to the rail with half Macs on it. Didn't even get any critters to nibble on it. In hind site, I should have cut up a fresh mac or throw a live one out. I tried live sardines and only got the eel.
Thanks for the info. For now I'll be back on the shore too see what I can find.

Cheers, Keith

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »
Freelance 9-5 Twilight trip hooked another Mako (if you believe their fish counts). I went Friday night. Only a couple days off.

-Keith