Author Topic: Ventura County big game help  (Read 2754 times)

BSE209

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Ventura County big game help
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Hello everyone,
I live in Ventura and want to start targeting some big game (other than batrays) out of the surf. I know some Seven Gills were caught here a few years back but I never hear of them anymore? Can anyone suggest some locations to target the big stuff? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Ventura County big game help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 05:52:34 AM »
First off, welcome to the boards!

I don't know Ventura (at all actually) but there are plenty of Sevengills there.  I know for me, I look for the surfer spots.  They always surf the reef breaks and I usually fish up or down current from them.  Not actually on the break itself.
Seriously though, if there is reef near bye, then you are at the right spot.  The hardest part is to be at that particular reef at the right day and time as many of us have hit spots for nothing for a few days and then all of a sudden, the dead spot would just turn on and multiple sharks would get caught.

I'm not sure if that helps any, but many of the guys here are tight lipped on specific spots, even among friends.  lol
Hopefully you could hook up with someone up there to get out, but look for reefs and put some time on the sand and you'll have a damn good chance at getting one.  A lot more of a chance than not getting out at all.

Good luck boss and I look forward to seeing some successful photos!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BSE209

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
Latimeria,
Thanks a ton. Thats actually very helpful!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:50 AM »
Hey man, welcome to Prehistoric Soul!
I'm in Santa Paula and fish VC.  There are a few of us that have had some luck with the sevengills and a couple soupies the last few years. 
I've only been doing this for the last couple years and have learned a lot here!
Like Tom said, it's going to be hard for anyone to just give up locations to someone new.  But his advice is great for looking for spots on your own.  A lot of us use Google Earth as well.  Another thing, read all you can on this board, lots of great info!
I was on here and spending time fishing for a year before I got some new intel that helped me get my first 7, but well worth the time.
PM me and I'll send you my contact info.  Maybe we can meet up sometime.

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »
We could show you the spot but we'd have to kill ya afterwords  :o ;D :D

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
Do you plan on keeping them?

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
I'll say this North Ventura and South Santa Barbara. That is all. Good luck to you man, but I think I've given my spots up more than most. I too look forward to a good post. The reason you haven't been seeing from our area recently is because I haven't been fishing :D! Ok ego off now.

BSE209

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
Do you plan on keeping them?

-absolutely not, I'm 100 percent catch and release

BSE209

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:59:01 PM »