Author Topic: Father's Day Folly (6/21)  (Read 15681 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Father's Day Folly (6/21)
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:09:40 AM »
After the boat ran great last week, I had plans to take it offshore and look for paddies.  The goal was to meet Steve down at the ramp at 5:30 and get under way.

First hiccup of the day was a stiff west breeze that they weren't calling for, but the boat appeared to be running good.

Second hiccup was running to get some mackerel and the boat bogged down again... UGH, back to square one.  We ran back into the bay and tried some repairs at the courtesy dock.  We got it running just OK and decided to just try the PL kelp and see if we could mange a few fish on the limping motor.

The wind then switched to a 15-20 kt SW wind and what a crappy wind that was! 

Then we couldn't find a single mackerel for that matter until I entertained Steve with a trip to the kelp line for a quick skunk saving bass.

I decided I wanted to make the run and find some rockfish for the cooler.  The wind wasn't bad at our backs, but after just deciding to pack it in and run for the ramp, I realized all that stiff wind and waves were in out face.  Let's just say that we were soaked and my back is jacked this morning.

So, fishing wise, this was a bottom of the barrel type of day.  I got the boat home and started looking for obvious issues on the motor.  As I was filling up the gas tank, I shook the gas cap and heard sloshing.  I popped off the air cup on the bottom of the cap to see it filled with water!  My tank wasn't letting much air through the vent to let the gas to the engine except in little bubbles though the cap/cup.

I drained and cleaned it, but will still probably replace the fuel pump and coils just in case as they are the original equipment from 1979 and are way over due.  In any case, it was nice to find a cause of the effect and I will have to get it out again and test it... once again.

Otherwise the rest of my fathers day was great with my wife and kids.  As for the boat problems, well that was nothing a little liquor couldn't fix.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Father's Day Folly (6/21)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:18:31 AM »
Sucks man.

We had a hard time making macs on Friday. Spent what seemed like hours to only make 4 pieces ...  >:(

Hope the back is ok.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:01 AM »
Thanks for humoring me with one drop in the middle of the kelp. If I had a pic, I would claim to have caught a fish.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Well at least you guys got out :)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »
 You will be a certified boat mechanic before you know it  ;D

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »
Sucks bout the fishin but at least your narrowing down the boat maintanence, and you didn't have to get towed in...

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Sorry about the problem trip. Your photo is awesome though.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:23:50 AM »
I'm thinking that my gas cap full of water was not causing the breather to do its job and not letting the gas flow like it should.  Before I go out to buy a pump  that might not need replacing, I'm going to see what this does to help.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.