Author Topic: Acapulco  (Read 3146 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Acapulco
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
Got a really cool trip coming up in February.  A guy from Wisconsin is doing a research project with some colleagues at a University in central Mexico on goodeids.  Goodeids are small livebearers endemic to the area (think platies, mollies, killifish, etc).  They want to get the public more involved, so they're putting together a trip for aquarium hobbyists to help out and see the fish in their native habitat.  They had trouble finding enough people to go, so somehow I got an invite.  Pretty soon a second spot opened up, so I invited a friend from Florida who's also into microfishing / lifelisting.  We'll help out with the project as much as possible, but if any hook & line fishing opportunities come up we'll take advantage of them.  Should be some tilapia and cichlids we can catch, and of course plenty of micros.

The main trip doesn't visit either of the coasts, so we decided to go to Acapulco for two days so we can fish saltwater a bit.  We booked a hotel that has some surf and rocks that you can fish off of.  We'll probably pay a fisherman to take us out in a boat during the day.

Anyone been to Acapulco and have advice?  Advice for Mexico in general would be good too.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: Acapulco
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
No advice, but looking forward to a report! Stay safe, drug cartels are making their presence known down there.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »
Yeah, be safe but I'm looking forward to seeing pics and reading the report. Good luck boss and have a great time!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
Yeah the cartel violence does have me nervous.  We'll have a local Mexican guy with us for the whole trip, and he says he knows which roads to stay off of.

I'll be sure not to be a stereotypical American jackass.  Maybe that will count for something, haha.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Leaving tomorrow!

I was able to fit 3 smaller rods in the travel tube that came with my surf rod - a 7.5' ML spinning, 6' M spinning, and 6.5' MH conventional.  Wasn't sure if the last one would fit, but since it does I'm packing some terminal tackle for bigger fish... maybe large jacks, sharks, and rays.  A roosterfish would be super awesome.

Expect a report in about 2 weeks.  :D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Leaving tomorrow!

I was able to fit 3 smaller rods in the travel tube that came with my surf rod - a 7.5' ML spinning, 6' M spinning, and 6.5' MH conventional.  Wasn't sure if the last one would fit, but since it does I'm packing some terminal tackle for bigger fish... maybe large jacks, sharks, and rays.  A roosterfish would be super awesome.

Stay safe and good luck Ben!  I'm looking forward to the report!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
Leaving tomorrow!

Stay safe and good luck Ben!  I'm looking forward to the report!

Ditto!! Living vicariously through you!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »
Arrived back in Illinois last night.  Trip was great, tons of pics of super tiny fish to sort through!  We did manage to catch a few "normal" sized fish on our 2nd day in Acapulco.  I got a nice sierra mackerel and striped bonita.  Downloaded 908 photos off my camera this morning, so it might be a few days before I can get a report together.  ;D

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
Oh and I should add: NO INJURIES THIS TIME.  :P

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
Ooohhh, excited!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
I can't wait!  Glad you got back in one piece!