Author Topic: 1st Surf Session..No stripe! 4/25  (Read 3890 times)

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
1st Surf Session..No stripe! 4/25
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
My buddy and I are somewhat experienced bay fisherman and have our fair share of batrays which we have gotten and little tired of. After researching the ways of surf fishing and reading many of your posts, we decided to give the SD surf a try friday night. We fished from 7-11 in what we thought were good conditions with 2-3 foot waves and little seaweed. We ended up getting 5 batrays and only one that was decent. Although we didn’t get any of the sharks we were targeting, we found that landing fish in the surf is pretty fun.

If we were casting far enough to catch the batrays were we in the casting range for soupfins and sevengills?

The highlight of the night was when my friends rod bent in half and the reel screamed for about 10 seconds spitting out line FAST.  Although we are surf fishing rookies, me and my friend think that this fish could have been a soupfin because of the speed it took off with and how it spit the circle hook so fast because bat rays have never done that to us before.. but we would like to hear your guy's opinion on what it could have been! We took a half ass pic of the mackerel after the run ill post it below or at least try because im struggling with the first time uploading pics ( its giving me an error message >:(

Anyways me and my friend are looking forward to joining the shark fishing community and would like to fish with some of the SD guys on here, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck and tight lines!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:34:03 PM by ztesta »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Surf Session..No stripe!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
Pretty damn good for a first session. Congrats. I would be stoked on a five bat session.

Hard to tell what might have bitten that bait, pic is not that great, but bat rays typically crush baits. That doesn't look like a crush to me, so it could be a shark. Who knows?

I would say it is likely you were in the zone.

Look forward to more reports.

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Surf Session..No stripe!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks Sasquatch we were getting our baits out about 60-70 yards which we thought should be far enough. As far as the bait...in person it looked like a clear tooth indent so we think it was a shark.

There will be more reports to come for sure.

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Surf Session..No stripe! 4/25
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:39:37 PM »
Man testa I always gotta out fish you brotha! 3 bats and the biggest one of the 5 hahah! Definitely looked like teeth indents in the mackerel... Hopefully it was a soupfin I had on my line...

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
I'm going to report that to the moderator.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Man testa I always gotta out fish you brotha! 3 bats and the biggest one of the 5 hahah! Definitely looked like teeth indents in the mackerel... Hopefully it was a soupfin I had on my line...

Right on, that's the spirit. Testa is almost guaranteed to get a soupfin first now. Good luck guys.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
I'm going to report that to the moderator.

Do it. All kind of crazy sh!t happens. It's fun.

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »
hahah now that I said that he probably will catch the first one lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »
Lol, welcome to the boards guys and great first report!  Soupies and Sevens are pretty tough to catch and it sounds like you guys were in the zone. It's only a matter of time. :)

Btw, i was the same about the surf and bay also. Lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:38:25 PM »
Excellent 1st session guys,it'll only get better the more your out on the water...lookin forward to future reports

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:01:27 AM »
classic!  ;D

Epic session guys. Shoot , just one bat from the surf kicks my ass. That first pic is a TOAD!!!

Welcome guys, look forward to the posts!

(love the sh!te talk already LOL ...)

8) 8) 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »
Sh!t talking is great fun when done to and with the right people!! You'll see a fair amount of it on here...but, we're the right people ;) Except 1morecast... LOL!!

Like others have said, a 5 bat night is awesome from surf or bay!! Bonus awesome for it being your first ever surf sesh! Hopefully you guys score your first legit grinner from the surf soon. I'm still on the hunt as I am looking for my first as well! Hopefully tonight is my night! Looking forward to more posts!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
Thanks guys. Lol looks like we'll fit right in on here. Glad to hear we were most likely in the grinner zone hopefully next time! Should be heading out Friday. Hopefully the report following is good.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
 8)