Author Topic: More Vampires  (Read 2238 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
More Vampires
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:15:21 AM »
Been fishing my spot now trying to target hairtails (ribbonfish). they say they get up to 7ft or more but the biggest so far is 36-38". I got excited sat. night when I went and hooked one that peeled 8-9lbs of drag off my Calcutta and made the braid sing as it sliced through the water. After only a few seconds it let go and even though I was throwing an XRAP 14 with trebles, it did not connect as well as I had hoped. A guy just across the way managed one that was just a hair shorter than he was tall. (Japanese guys aren't very tall, so i'm assuming it was 4 1/2ft). seeing that got me pumped and before I knew it I was getting hits every other cast. only two hookups with smaller models around 35-36" (these guys are only a couple pounds each). Eventually I lost my Xrap with trebles. I was reeling it in very slow, just the way they like it, felt a small tap and slack... something bit clean though my 50lb floro leader before it could even pull tight.  ;D

oh well. went out and bought two new ones and some pre made 20lb wire leaders.  ;)

no pics of the Hairtails. I did bring one home and it tastes DELICIOUS! both sashimi and fried up in butter.

I will leave you with this however. a beautiful pic Hannah took of my Vampire infested fishing hole. also where I caught a large Guitarfish recently.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: More Vampires
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »
Very nice Chris.  8) 

Any pics of the guitarfish?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
Very cool Chris. What kind of sharks lurk within casting distance of Okinawa? Out of curiousity was the guitarfish one of those big blue ones with white spots?

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:25:36 AM »
it was bluish grey with some spots, yes. 8ft+ and dumped my 12/0. a lot of power in those guys. no pics of it. I was alone on the end of the jetty with a good swell and rain. the pics I tried to get from the top of the rocks was just washed out by the flash. had to cut the leader as close to the hook as I could. just another fish story I guess. 

sharks that frequent the area are bulls, white tip reef sharks, oceanic white tips (some parts of the island its over 200ft deep only 100 meters from shore), great whites (they like the area pictured), tigers, and smooth hammers. we've caught some silkies off shore and seen a blue but none inshore.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
Cool story, but I need pics of fish not where you catch 'em!  ;)
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:20 AM »
Awesome as usual Chris! Both the view and the species list are incredible!
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner