Author Topic: VC Boat Ride 7/22  (Read 2195 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
VC Boat Ride 7/22
« on: July 22, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
I was hyping myself up all week on launching out of Dana Point and fishing the 14 for bluefin, but once my weekend came, the tuna seemed to have left. I also heard that the 14 isn't a consistent spot for pelagics, so it didn't seem smart to make that a Plan A. Didn't feel like a San Diego trip for the 9, so I went back to the thresher hunt.

I was originally thinking of launching from MDR and trying the Malibu area, but on top of some other reports of threshers showing up in VC, Adam's report from yesterday sealed the deal on my locale for today.

So I launched from Ventura Harbor at 0800 and headed north looking for life. No fish finder today. Transducer has been shot the last few trips (new one came in the mail while I was on the water, along with a new sliding mount). Wind was already up outside the harbor but it mellowed up the coast. I trolled a Rapala Magnum, a cedar plug, and a sabiki rig.

No bites on anything! Not even a mackerel. Not much life out there today. In 30 miles round trip, I saw one seal and a few handfuls of smelt under kelps. A pelican diving on a white cap here and there. Lots of salad in the water from 100 yards out to half a mile out, which made trolling difficult in some spots and impossible in others. Didn't think salad could be such a problem outside of the shore break, but now I know! Tried my best to work around the color break in the water, since that's the only place I saw bait in the water.

Pretty day though. Til next week.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Re: VC Boat Ride 7/22
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 09:29:14 PM »
Sorry the fishy conditions didn't stay! You're due for one!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »
I was ready to respond in a more  advanced manner than this, but my old neighbors (90 and 95) just came over for dinner, so I'll get back to you tomorrow!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »
Dang, no sonar huh?  That's a tough one for me as I'm always watching it.  I use it for everything from the GPS, Plotter, Seeing bottom structure, Bait, temp, and occasionally fish.  I feel blind without one.

You are overdue for a Mr. T on that thing.  Looking forward to the report that shows you with one.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »
Dang, no sonar huh?  That's a tough one for me as I'm always watching it.  I use it for everything from the GPS, Plotter, Seeing bottom structure, Bait, temp, and occasionally fish.  I feel blind without one.

You are overdue for a Mr. T on that thing.  Looking forward to the report that shows you with one.   8)

Didn't feel too blind without the FF this time, since I was familiar with the general topography of the area and was hugging the coast. My charts/GPS are better on my phone anyways, though I didn't even pull out the Navionics. It was just about the water color and birds.

Gonna head out again on Monday. I'll look for them tight to the coast but I'll have the local canyons as an option as well. This time I'll have the FF, and I'm going to revamp my milk crate with the intention of reducing the vibration of my rods, and moving my trolling rod holders off the transom. If I have my wits about me I'll take some pics as I'm going through the project tonight.

Thinking about installing a folding chair with a spring mount onto the bench as well, with hopes of reducing back pain and vibration fatigue. I'm gonna move the bench toward the middle of the boat this time and use a tiller extension, see what that does for me and decide on the chair idea from there. Just don't wanna be packing my car with more than I already have to.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 03:38:34 AM »
I've always believed that persistence pays, and you are as persistent as they come.  It will happen   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 06:55:40 AM »
I agree with Verne, you definitely have been putting in lots of time and effort, the fish gods are bound to reward you soon ;)