Author Topic: Wahoo Woe's (10/26)  (Read 3364 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Wahoo Woe's (10/26)
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »
Got some new intel and decided to run out and try for another shot at wahoo.  This time I busted out a brand new rigged BaitOmatic with 350# steel leader.  I even changed out the hooks to a $15 marlin hook just to make sure and rigged it on my 100# set up.

It was a great morning to take off!

I was running out when I startled something big swimming.  Not sure if it was a marlin or a shark, but it pushed a good undulating wake.  I decided to troll the area.  As I was trolling, I saw a 300# ranged marlin jump and cruised over to see if I could get a taker.  I also saw a few more manta rays jumping which are always cool.

I trolled for a few hours when the SCREAM of a 9/0 filled the air!  Holy Crap was it running!

Those 9/0 have no gear ratio, but I definitely had him hooked and on the heavy stuff.  The baitomatic at 11 mph did the trick.  The fish was so fast, I was fighting it in one direction and thought I saw more fish jumping 90 degrees from my line when I realized it was my fish!  I get it 30 feet from the boat and it looks to be  7' Wahoo!  It looked like a log in the water, but I never realized how lit up they get!  Holy crap was it beautiful!  Gaff ready... check!  It takes a last minute blast and.... and.... I'm going to puke.....

350 lb steel leader snipped.  I could puke just typing this... 

In hind sight, all the "Wahoo Experts" came out of the wood works to tell me what I did wrong and what kind of wire to use, but I figured a pre-rigged lure that says "For Wahoo and Mako" would have had the correct leader on it.

Oh well, I'm sick to my stomach as I burned $80 in gas and $55 in a single lure.  Unfortunately, they seem to be moving out of the area from all the radio chatter, but I had one and had my shot...  Oh well, this seems like "Year of the Farmer" for me.  I lost way too many nice fish this year and probably need some equipment upgrades.

I had the GoPro ready, but in the firedrill, never had a chance to hit the button.  That was just insult to injury....

Oh well, gotta move on and get the next beast!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:10:13 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Whaoo Woe's (10/26)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:56:23 AM »
Dang Tom, what a heart breaker!  :'(
Made my stomach turn just reading it.
It's gonna turn around soon!!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
That one hurts.

I know your exact feeling.

Unfortunately we go through that now and then and it sucks .

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:30:41 AM by Eric H »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Yikes! Hey you had a shot. I've yet to tie a haywire twist.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Wahoo Woe's (10/26)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
Sorry to hear that Tom. Those big fish lost after a big fight haunt us all.

You have been seeking one and have now felt one. It is a step closer to landing one.

Jim

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
Damn, I got bummed just reading it  :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
You keep your boat underway while fighting? Like 5mph? That's the only way to decrease the 90 degree WTF's and prevent those teeth sawing even heavy gauge wire.

Funny ... we have yet to bust out the bait-o-matics and were laughing cause it says just that on the label. "for wahoo" ... lol ... oh well. Can't believe the shredded cable.

Bummer man. Get out again!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:40:50 PM by WheresMyBeer »

TheCraftsman

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 08:07:04 AM »
Ive never done any offshore fishing, so im pretty amazed that they are that vicious... Sawing through 350lb cable is impressive! At least you got to battle it, and even see it.  So much better than no bites or not even getting to see it imo....
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »
Oh the agony of defeat! Experienced it plenty of times! How awesome was it though?!! You have some time left...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)