Author Topic: Turtles and Cats (1/3)  (Read 2193 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Turtles and Cats (1/3)
« on: January 04, 2023, 07:01:44 AM »
I had a splitting headache the past few days from stress and just about everything else going on in my camp.  I got home from work to realize that I didn't want to be in the house at that moment and packed my trout rods.  Fishing in the rain and just hoping to get lucky.

I tried three spots, but the first was the slowest.

I don't know why I keep trying here, as I continually get nothing at this spot.   I did look back to see my indicator bobber drop into the water.  I ran out and grabbed the rod, but didn't feel a thing and my worm was still on there.  No idea what that could have been, but it didn't come back.

After an hour, I moved to the corner hoping for a rogue trout from the plant spot.

5 times, my indicator bobber dropped in the water, and I felt something tugging, but nothing that took the hook.  I did notice some small turtles popping up here and there, so figure it was one of them, or possibly some bluegill tugging at the end of the work.  Not a sniff on powerbait.

It was now about 35 minutes to closing and I was desperate for anything.  Even though the signs were up not to fish in these areas, I decided to try for a catfish.

I literally attached the bobber and took a picture of the rod when it doubled over!  I just put a steady pull on the rod and I know for a fact it didn't have a clue it was hooked.  I wasn't feeling confident with my size 20 treble hook, but I was slowly pulling it to shore without a fight.  Soon as I saw it it also realized something was wrong and all hell broke loose!  It was a 12-15 pound class catfish on the 2# rod!  YIKES!  There was a slight pressure from me trying not to break the line and then everything went loose.  I reeled up to see my hook still on there, but the treble was smashed flat!  Ugh, there goes my shot I figured.

I retied and just recast when the ranger stopped to let me know they were closing in 10 minutes.  Just then, he said, you got one.  WHAT!?!?  fish on again!  It didn't feel as big, but this one wasn't having any of it and actually broke the line.   I retied again, and on the third cast had a run, only for the hook to never set.  Next few casts all were bit, but I couldn't get anything to stick and the ranger was back around for the final push out of park patrons.

Oh well, I left with a little adrenaline rush, but just wish I could have got a net under that fat cat.  If anything, I just need toremember not to bring a knife to a gun fight.  haha

Thanks for reading....  Fishing down the street is still cheaper than running down to the bay these days and thus the reason for so many SL puddle reports.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Turtles and Cats (1/3)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 07:54:43 AM »
Dang Tom, that sounds fun anyway!  Hope things were calmer when you got home.

I was fishing a small pond once and catching a lot of little 10" cats.  Tossed one back and as soon as it hit the water a huge cat surfaced and chomped on it!  I immediately dropped a worm right next to the back and within seconds my spool was being emptied.  Held on and tried to tighten the drag a bit, but I was young and overly anxious and it broke me off, what a rush though, haha!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »
 You can take your boat miles offshore and land massive sea monsters but the puddle down the street is playing mind games with you, all due to  the elusive turtle and catfish ;D ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:02:34 AM »
Oh well, I left with a little adrenaline rush

I got a adrenaline rush just reading it, I truly hope things get easier for you my friend
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 07:30:41 AM »
You can take your boat miles offshore and land massive sea monsters but the puddle down the street is playing mind games with you, all due to  the elusive turtle and catfish ;D ;D

It's hard enough to deal with a fishing line you can't really see or tie along with a hook that's smaller than my nose hair.  It's safe to say SL is one of the most annoying places for me to fish in SoCal, but the convenience is too convenient.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 05:27:48 PM »
Poway is my "Santee" lol.