Author Topic: What to do with some yt heads  (Read 1791 times)

Drewmeister

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
What to do with some yt heads
« on: October 30, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
I’ve been hitting the smaller shark frequently this summer but now I have some big bait. I was gonna see if anyone had any impute on how to fish a bigger bait in the surf. Regarding tackle (float rig vs bottom rig) ect. Thanks in advance!

Drewmeister

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with some yt heads
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:45:46 PM »
When I say big bait I’m talking yellow tail heads. Forgot to mention that .

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
I’ve cast out heads from small, real small, yellows.

If you mean too big to cast, and intend to kayak them out, I say float rig.

Not an expert. Watched float rigs run out once. They both got bit. That is the full sum of what formed my opinion.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »
I've only casted out smaller yellowtail heads like Steve.  I've only seen, but never personally tried kayaking baits out.  If you were going to kayak baits out, I would personally use a bottom rig as I feel like there is more options for different species from big Blacks to most sharks that would slurp them off the bottom (Most sharks eat rays which are always found down there).  With that said, float rigs would be better for mid and upper level of water column swimmers like makos, GW's and threshers.  I would also think a bottom rig would get picked apart much quicker and easier, but those benthic beasts always get me a bit more interested.

I have some yellowtail heads in my freezer right now that are just at my "border of casting size" and need to try and get them launched into the surf soon.

BTW, welcome to the boards!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:33:38 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Drewmeister

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
I’ve cast out heads from small, real small, yellows.

If you mean too big to cast, and intend to kayak them out, I say float rig.

Not an expert. Watched float rigs run out once. They both got bit. That is the full sum of what formed my opinion.

Thanks for the impute!

Drewmeister

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
I've only casted out smaller yellowtail heads like Steve.  I've only seen, but never personally tried kayaking baits out.  If you were going to kayak baits out, I would personally use a bottom rig as I feel like there is more options for different species from big Blacks to most sharks that would slurp them off the bottom (Most sharks eat rays which are always found down there).  With that said, float rigs would be better for mid and upper level of water column swimmers like makos, GW's and threshers.  I would also think a bottom rig would get picked apart much quicker and easier, but those benthic beasts always get me a bit more interested.

I have some yellowtail heads in my freezer right now that are just at my "border of casting size" and need to try and get them launched into the surf soon.

BTW, welcome to the boards!

Thank you for the feedback . Definitely amped to use some yt for the first time.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
I've also casted YT heads, but they were only fist sized. I did cast out one that was hand sized and I felt like my rod was ready to snap. I didn't get much distance either. Go with either, float or bottom rig. Better yet, use 2 rods to try both. Welcome to the board!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)