Author Topic: "Sea"nco De Mayo! *Updated* (5/5)  (Read 4148 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
"Sea"nco De Mayo! *Updated* (5/5)
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:59 AM »
Well, I only planned on heading down to watch Squatch and Josh fish... right!  I grabbed my 8lb long rod (I have a 10 pound limit, so I stayed under my limit by 20%) and met up with the boys down at the bay.  Josh pumped up some small shrimp for me and I was ready to go.

First cast and I get a yellowfin croaker.  Steve said, "That's the freshest bait I've seen in a while... throw it in my cooler".  I can't complain, I just got Squatch a nice 3 baiter for the surf!  I had a few more bites, but could not move fast enough to get to the rod and that was fine with me. 

We were all sitting around shooting the sh!t, when I saw a bobber pop up next to Steve's line.  As I watched it, I noticed it was moving against the wind and current.  It was picking up speed, so there was definitely a fish attached!  I made a few casts to try and snag the bobber, but my rig wouldn't grapple with the bobber or loose rig.  Everytime I started to tighten up on my line, the fish would take off and pop my line off the bobber line.  The bobber started to sink out of sight and I made one blind last hail mary cast to catch it.  I waited for a few minutes hoping it would intersect my line and sure as hell it did!  Got him!
I reeled in this bobber, attached to a sabiki rig, attached to some split shots, attached to s whole squid attached to a round ray.  What will the bucketeers think up next!?!?  LOL

Steve then hooked up with a decent bat ray that acted like an 80 pounder rather than a fish half that size.  Josh still waited...

The Love!

Just then my long skinny rod went off and it was definitely a bat.  I thought it was a bass at first since it swam at me, but soon showed it's true colors.  Unfortunately, we had a group of people wanting to swim in front of us and that bat was heading straight towards them like a freight train.  I could only picture the Huntington Beach great white that was hooked by the guy on the pier and hit that dumb surfer paddling towards it.  I thumbed my spool and busted it off.  Better off though as I'm not sure my back would have liked a long fight on the small long rod with that thing, but I felt the fun of the long runs again and that was money.

My back was done, so I headed home leaving the Dynamic Duo there to duke it out for Cinco de Mayo Supremecy.  I got home to see Josh finally got on the board at the quitting time buzzer.  All in all, not bad.  Not great, but not bad.  The water was quite warm and it was a bit windy/chilly out there for conditions for those who want to know.  I'll put the lame pics up later, but it feels good to get a report up again.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:40:07 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: "Sea"nco De Mayo! (5/5)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »
Nice ... WTG guys!

Dang TOM be careful !!!

Classic bobber story.  ;D ;D

8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
Welcome back Tom!
Glad you got to get out and tug on something!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:53 AM »
 Hey man, it was great to see you back on the sand and catching.

Thanks for the fresh bait. Hope I will be able to fish next week. Things are very up in the air right now.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »
Good times boss good to see u "back in action" even if it was on a micro scale ;) The bobber snag was the definition of a hail Mary! We both lost sight of it and I thought u had no chance after that, especially since u had 4 perfect chances at him within 10yds of shore B) sh!t I probably coulda hand grabbed it but didn't wanna steal your glory ;D thanks for stickin it out til 815 wit me squatch, I know the curfew officers were about to start their search party lmfao! Pretty Fun for a slow night, at least everyone got something.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
"Sea"nco De Mayo .... I see what you did there  ;)

Damn Tom, is there anything you can't catch?!! Baby steps during your recovery. As my friend would say, "You gotta crawl before you walk."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:22:36 PM by Pinoyfisher »
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
I bet that Round Ray was thankful that you had snagged that bobber.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
Saving -1s ...  ;D ;D ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
Saving -1s ...  ;D ;D ;D

Round Rays = 0

Thorny backs = -1

;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
Re: "Sea"nco De Mayo! *Updated* (5/5)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »
Pics updated, finally.

I just got the seal of approval.  I am a week away from getting back to normal, even though that means just working out.

In other words, I'll start with corvine, bass and halibut and work my way back up to surf sharks here shortly.  These fish better prepare for Armageddon!

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
Those Corvin(e)s better prepare for their "a"s getting ripped out of them ...  ;D

Nice finger salute Steve ... bomb deflected ..  :P

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 05:22:47 AM »
Nice seeing ya back out there Tom!

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 06:08:47 AM »
Great to hear you're "back" in the game. Don't want any lame PacMan excuses for SNBF 9 ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
Looks like the fish aren't safe anymore, glad you are on the mend and ready for redemption 8)

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:51:23 PM »
Glad your back out.

"the love" photo was great lol :)