Author Topic: Mission Bay Skunk  (Read 2897 times)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Mission Bay Skunk
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
of the toothy kind, that is.

Saturday evening, my two sons and I headed to Mission Bay to look for the elusive Leopard Shark or Bat Ray. It has been a mission for me to have them hook into one of these "big gamers" as the micro surf perch fight is all too brief. We headed to Quivara Point to try and catch our own fresh mackerel but all we found was a willing short Barracuda and lots of floating grass. So, off to Seaforth to purchase good old frozen that looked fresh but turned out a bit mushy.
 I set us up off Crown Point and for the next couple hours we enjoyed the San Diego sunset and sand, with close proxiemty bathrooms. Lost some bait to small bait stealers or casting. Had a brief moment when a clicker slowly ticked here and there but never sounded solid. About half an hour after the tide peaked, a flotilla of night time kayakers were heading straight for the three lines, so we jumped to action to reel in and recast after they went by. But some how, magically, the bait I was reeling in had turned into a huge Spotted Bay Bass, probably close to 20 inches. A quick photo and CPR'd back into the bay. By this time, the hunger had taken over the sharking intrests of two preteen boys. Packed up the gear and headed home.
  I am wondering if I may not be getting the bait into the zone or if I need to be closer to or in the moving water. It could simply be a bad night. I would like to spend more time out there and use better bait.
 Any other suggestions that were not mention in your articles? The articles were very informative and helpful. You guys are the masters of Southern California big game surf fishing. I am happy that you guys have set up your own website.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Bay Skunk
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
If the front bay doesn't produce try the back. Have caught em out far and in close.

Also pick up a box of squid and have both offerings out there. All of our recent bats were on the squish.

I'm also a believer the fish get more active during a good pressure swing (i.e. ahead of storms). Bet tonight would be good ... also nice 4.5ft moving tide!!

Welcome to the boards and good luck. Kids will be STOKED when they ride a big boy ...
 8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:14:19 PM by WheresMyBeer »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
Like Dave said, it a good idea to have both squid and mackerel. Sometimes they want one, sometimes the other and sometimes anything goes.

Next time put on the feed sack before you fish and bring some snacks. It will keep you on the sand longer.

As far as where to cast, I usually fish two rods and put one farther than the other. Every time I get s good theory going it double crosses me.

Good luck.

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
  Thanks for the helpful info. We've fished the North to Northeast side of Fiesta with a couple pickups and my youngest boy landed a 4 ft + guitar fish this time last year. So they've got that and big Butterfly Ray from Moonlight  some time before that. It had a nice 3 ft + wing span. So, they've got the itch, now it just needs to be scratched.
   Next trip we'll have the squid or mackerel options and some snacks to keep the bellies happy. Do you guys buy your Sputnik sinkers or do you make them yourselves?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:13 AM »
Buy the sputniks. Don't usually use them in the bay though.

Sputniks on ebay from seller klammer42. Sells assortments or all one size. Can't beat the quick service.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
been surprised twice now by the speed at which those Sputs arrive.  ;D

For the squid ... Cannonball rig is the ticket.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:38 AM »
Excellent info from Dave and Squatch!

Sometimes, it takes a few nights in a row in a few different places in the bay to get a bead on them.  When you find them, strike while the iron is hot because they will usually be there for a few days.

8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
Kudos for taking the kids fishing, much respect to you.  There's nothing like seeing the look in a youngster's eyes when he hooks into his first "beast", Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
There's nothing like seeing the look in a youngster's eyes when he hooks into his first "beast", Verne

Absolutely!!

As other have said, bring squid or macks and try the back bay, the front did nothing for me all of last and the beginning of this year. Cannon ball rig is probably best for the bay.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »
  I can work with the cannon ball rig. I've got all the gear for that. Should the Sputnik sinkers be delegated for surf then?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
Sputniks will hold if the current is ripping, but a pyramid usually will too for half the price. Also the legs may collect eel grass if they don't all gold back.