Author Topic: Mud Marlin Immortals In Italy  (Read 2385 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Mud Marlin Immortals In Italy
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
As many of you know, I am an avid fossil hunter and have got to know many curators and collectors from around the world.
Recently, I had a conversation (through the magic of Babelfish Translation) to an old friend, Simone Casati of Scandicci Italy about sharks and rays out here.  He is the curator for G.A.M.P.S out there.

He has been all over the news for some of his discoveries in wine country and has since published a book.  He's a terrific promoter of Paleontology out there and it keeps the museum open since most money goes to the museum of the arts and such.

In our conversations, I told him that I would send him some spines from a few rays that I've caught out here.  I had a nice bat ray spine and a big diamond sting ray spine along with a mako tooth that I shipped to Italy.
Well, I guess it got held up in customs for a while since it took 1-1/2 months to get there!  :shock:

He was super stoked to get the package and said he would be displaying it in the museum!  I found that really cool since I was just sending it to him for his own collection!

Upon arrival.

Here is where some good old California Mud Marlin and Diamond Ray weapons reside now!  Scandicci Italy!

(The Museum)

[size=18]Well looky here![/size]

I find it a thrill to have some specimens in a museum, especially one so far away.  I realize this isn't finding an astounding fossil or anything, but I find it rather cool to see my name in an Italian Museum.  8)  :lol:

Here are some pics from digs he does out there.  This area is VERY similar to one of the areas I fossil hunt (or use to before the land got closed down) out here.  There are a lot of the same species and fossils themselves.

Got my blood pumping for some cooler weather so I can head back out with my fossil utility belt and pick in hand!

Hope you enjoyed your tour of little Italy.  :lol:
You can't catch them from your computer chair.