Author Topic: Pacific Voyager 10/9-10/12  (Read 3537 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Pacific Voyager 10/9-10/12
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »
 My long awaited 2.5 day trip was finally here.  Friday at work was nothing but clock watching.

It started with the group meeting in the parking lot to shoot the breeze.

We Loaded the boat and hit the bait barge. We emptied two boxes of primo sardines, 6-9".

The plan was to fish Tanner Bank, but as we got near, the report from another boat already there was dismal so we switched it up and headed to the Cortez.

On the way we stopped at a kelp loaded with 10" YT. Then spotted some breezing fish that turned out to be skipjack. We continued on to the Cortez where we anchored with 6 other boats in the same area.

Baits in the water and soon the sound of line peeling off reels, shouts of "Fresh One" and "Chomper" began to be heard.

The fish were a mix of small yellowfin, small yellowtail, big bonito and big skipjack. Then the big yellow fin started to be mixed in.

Fish were caught on bait and the flatfall jigs, even some on poppers. 20# line was the only thing getting bit. Floro made the difference.

Hammerhead sharks circled the boat constantly, resulting in lost fish, and some that came in missing the body.

We fished there all day with a steady bite. Lots of fish were lost due to the light line, some to tangles and some to people hammering the drag to try and stop a freight train run.

After dinner Nicky and Ethan, another young man started to bait the hammers. I hit the hay so I don't know how they did.

We stayed on the hook all night, and fished the second day in the same spot. The action was steady again. More YFT and some bigger YT.

For me the highlight of the trip was Nicky's popper fish as we pulled the anchor to head for home after emptying the bait wells.

So much fun with good people. My body aches, but I would get on that trip again right now.

So many more stories. Lots more pictures. Nothing I write can do it justice.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Pacific Voyager 10/9-10/12
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:53:44 AM »
Nice get away trip squatch! Glad you got in on some of the action, or should I say nice of the Vu's to leave a few fish alone for you to get into ;) that kid Nicky is a monster, the popper fish john posted on SC are some slugs!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:28:24 AM »
Great pics and stories Steve.  Thanks for the Hand offs and great seeing the crew yesterday morning.  I felt like I was at a. SCSF reunion!   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »
That looks like a fun trip.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
Looks like good times.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:07 AM »
heck of a trip with some good ole faces. Fun time Steve. Congrats

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
Great story and cool pics.Those Hammers are nothing nice.
I just love being out on the boat. It's a great way to escape the rat race of everyday life.
I was wanting to get back out again this year but decided to go up north and do a guided bass fishing expedition with my brother in law instead.
Should be fun.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:26:45 AM »
Good read and great pics, thanks Steve.  I'm more than a little jealous  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
I could use a trip like that right now!! It looks like this season is slowly winding down here.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)