Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Saltwater Boat Fishing Reports / BD Bay Bass Classic
« Last post by Chris on Today at 11:24:20 AM »
The first annual BD/CCA Bay Bass Classic was held yesterday, Saturday May 11th in Mission bay.

Registration was $20 and we got that and more back with the goodie bag they handed out to everyone.
Ahi/ promar gave out some small coils of 20lb floro with a bag to display in the pics to enter thier side pot. I put on the leader and stuck the bag in the top of my tackle bag and totally forgot about it when I took fish pics. Big goof on my part.

There was a side pot for halibut so I spent the first 3 hours targeting sandy grass flats in hopes of a good flattie and maybe catch a spottie while I’m at it.
Ended up with two halibut, one 17” and one a little shorter I didn’t enter and a handful of bass from 9-11.5” . Topped it off with a small cuda and hog lizard fish. Lol.

There was an outrigger canoe race going on and I got stuck in their traffic trying to cross a channel to go pee…. Talk about the most inconvenient timing being stuck 10ft off the shore of a packed dog beach and 10ft from 50 womens paddle teams when I’m about to piss myself. Luckily I was able to hold it and wasn’t arrested for indecent exposure.

About 11:30 I checked the stats and even with my smaller fish I was in 30th place out of 140-150 anglers. Decided to go hit some docks and structure and try to atleast make a showing.
Found a row of docks with 3 submerged boat lifts and threw an under spin with 3” big hammer in them and pulled out a 17” bass on first cast. Wrestling it out of there was fun. Had to retie a new leader because it got really chaffed up and then cast into the second and pulled out a 14” spottie! Entered them and checked my stats and I was in 16th with 45 mins to go. Had to retie and put in a new swim bait then nailed a 13.5” on the 3rd cast. This brought me up to 6th place. I spent a little time pounding some posts around the area and had a short bite but nothing stuck. With 15mins left I went looking for another promising spot but the wind was now blowing my boat around like a balloon. Figured that was it and headed back. A couple last minute updates to the entries put me in 9th place with a 70” total and biggest overall spottie at 17”.

Award time was interesting. They gave the overall spottie award to the guy with the 3rd biggest fish at 16.5” when there was a 16.75 and 17” ahead of him. I asked the event coordinators if we had been disqualified and they looked shocked and said it was a mistake. They gave me a rod for the largest spottie but didn’t do an announcement or anything. BD has been made aware, the guy that won was aware and so was half the crowd when they announced it. We’ll see what they end up publishing because BD is really good about event recaps.

Besides that I had a good time. Saw some old faces, including Len and almost had a dog join me which was funny. It swam out 100ft or so and looked pretty intent on getting to my boat.

Really cool video.
It's amazing how they can hammer the swim bait and not end up hooking themselves.

-Keith
General Board / Re: Bad Pig Wood Haul
« Last post by Latimeria on Today at 08:25:12 AM »
BTW.... Did you have the "Long Skinny" Bad Pig hanging from your rear-view mirror?
General Board / Re: Furiosa
« Last post by mdcesq on Today at 06:48:27 AM »

Tom, are you ready?

I can't WAIT!

Same. I gotta start playing all the others in prep.
The video is awesome Jeremy, very cool indeed
« Last post by Tim524 on May 11, 2024, 09:31:10 PM »
Years of wood??? Impressive pile.

Good luck with Dave. I hear he's a bit kooky, but golly can he catch fish. Interested to hear the report.

I've known him for a couple years now and I will say he is a nonstop ball of energy, but he has a wealth of knowledge and he has helped me quite a bit. Should be a fun day.
That video was REALLY cool , Jeremy!  I'm excited to see what you capture on future videos!  I'll revisit this later tonight or tomorrow.  Super cool.
Saltwater Boat Fishing Reports / Inshore w/ Jared, Underwater Cam Debut 5/11
« Last post by jrodda on May 11, 2024, 05:59:18 PM »
Go ahead and open this up in a new tab...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Pdb1Lkao

Went out with Jared this morning with a plan to find rockfish then go shallow. Was supposed to be pristine conditions with basically no wind all day, but that was out the window from the start. 5-8 W in the morning is not conducive to drifts in 900', so gave up on that tack quickly. Then realized my oil pressure might be a bit low on the way out, so decided 300' was too far and stayed close to home inshore.

I got my underwater camera last week and was itching to use it. Dropped it on the 3 way rig at Izor's to start. Terribly sticky bottom but potentially great footage. Camera was essentially attached to 50# while sinker and lure were on 30# so hoped that would keep me out of trouble. First drops were tangles with so many weighted things swinging around, so had to cut down the leaders a bit and slow my drop to the bottom and retrieve back up.

We weren't getting bites at Izor's so we headed to a bunch of stones nearby, gradually going shallower. Was still slow but Jared broke skunk first with a small calico.

Then we got into a section where they seemed to be on. Started as a slow pick for Jared while I only got pecked, but eventually hooked up. From there it was doubles every couple minutes. Managed at least 20 between us before we felt we had abused the sandie population enough and left to get our asses kicked through the chop back to the harbor.

Footage turned out pretty good. The bottom structure was about what I expected. Thought there would be more fish around, but enough showed up on camera to keep it interesting. I will probably adjust the rig a bit in the future to avoid tangles, and hopefully get sunnier days with a little clearer water. Also hope to use it on particularly interesting marks and potentially confirm the presence of exotics when they do appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E7Pdb1Lkao
« Last post by jrodda on May 11, 2024, 05:33:05 PM »
Years of wood??? Impressive pile.

Good luck with Dave. I hear he's a bit kooky, but golly can he catch fish. Interested to hear the report.
General Board / Re: Just got back with a Special Prize!
« Last post by jrodda on May 11, 2024, 05:30:52 PM »
Oi. Hope you two recover nice and quick.

My sense of smell is apparently lacking....Alicia wants compliments for perfumes and food fragrances and I pretty much misidentify every "note". I stuck a marble up my nose when I was in elementary school so maybe all I can smell is that.

And happy birthday to your wife!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10