Author Topic: Leaping Gray Whales  (Read 3454 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Leaping Gray Whales
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Well, I've been out of commission for a while because of my sciatica and bum shoulder.  I saw the orthopedic Dr. and I'm taking some heavy steroids and have a bit of PT coming my way, so it is hard mentally to not get myself in fishing mode this weekend. 
We instead just spent the weekend at the beach condo andf enjoyed the view as well as a bunch of c*cktails.  My wife is looking out the window and yells "That whale just jumped out of the water!".  Now whales have been cruising by for weeks and do their usual blow spout and a few tail dives, but soon as I looked out the window it jumped again!  And again!  I thought it must have been a humpback whale since this is a rare occurrence to see them breach in SoCal waters.  I saw one breach next to my boat about 17 years ago, but with all of my time on the water, I guess I was just not in the right spot at the right time.  I had no camera handy so we missed any picture opportunities, but about an hour later, my wife saw another pod cruising through and they were jumping also! 
This time my mom grabbed her camera and got a few good shots.  She missed the money shot of a complete launch, but got some great shots which tells th story that they were definitely Gray Whales and not Humpbacks.  What a show!

I hope you enjoy the pics!

Spin in air and fall on back shot.

Missed this one by 2 seconds.

Two separate shots... the top one was another pic of what could have been the same whale.  There were 4 in the first pod and 6 in the second pod.

Such coolness... Glad mom was quick on the camera as she totally missed the first pod when they were coming through.

Hope you enjoy them.  They are a little grainy, but the camera is not professional equipment, so it came out damn good for what we had.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Leaping Gray Whales
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
How cool to see from the deck with a drink and snacks.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »
How cool to see from the deck with a drink and snacks.

They were only in about 40 feet of water.  Maybe less!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:23:43 PM »
Way cool - nice pics too.

We had a pod of 5 whale come up the line from Wind & Sea towards Crystal Pier .. they were moving quick, blowing, jumping, tails up high etc. Pretty cool to see a large Pod.

Had to reel up and move at one point. they had a B-line on us .... lol ...

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »
Cool pics no matter where you took em from.  8) A bonus spotting that from land I say.

Hope you feel better man. See you on the water hopefully sooner than later!