Author Topic: Morning Session Halibuts In NC AM Report 5/6/15  (Read 2157 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Morning Session Halibuts In NC AM Report 5/6/15
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »
Headed out before work in the early AM to try and stick a Halibut. I was hoping the waves died down some from the previous days big swell. I figured the early AM low tide would be my best shot at some calm waves. Arrived to a strong north pulling current and some pretty strong sets still coming in.

Armed with with my Diawa Coastal and my Sahara. This time though I upgraded to the 12# P-line extra strong. Don't know If I like this line yet or maybe it's just something I need to get used to. I find the normal 12# P-line casts much better. But I'll keep trying the extra strong for now. Tied on the LC 110 Aurora Mackerel and made sure my drag was set just right. Not to much wind to speak of but the waves were rolling in with pretty good force even at low tide.

About fifteen minutes of casting I feel a tap tap, slowed it down quickly and waited and then it hit. Wham! Set the hook and it was fish on. Started walking her back in and it was around a 15 inch model. Shook it off in close and started casting back out in the zone. I had to cast way left so that when I started reeling it in, it would be in the zone with the strong current. With all the white wash I could see some bait fish jumping out of the surf. Even saw a lobster hanging on to some grass.

This time it took only about 5 minutes to get my next hit and it was a pretty nice strike on the LC. She swam in with my as I was walking her back in, only when the water was running out did she make a few quick little runs. I have no idea what happened to the tail, I don't know if it was my line that could have done it, but the tail was pretty much split right down the middle. Got a few pictures and back in she went. Headed off the sand and had a nice smile on my face all day at work. Glad I was able to hit the target species in not so great conditions.

Here are some pics.

Measured out at about 21 inches.

Was a little to close for comfort on the hook set.

best measure I could get quickly as I wanted to get her back in the drink as fast as I could.

Thanks for reading and good luck out there.

Oh and tagged!!  :o :o

Until next tide.

Joel

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Morning Session Halibuts In NC AM Report 5/6/15
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:06:10 AM »
Nice morning session. I would be smiling at work after that too.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:11:27 AM »
Nice Tag 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:33:40 AM »
Nice tagged butt, Joel!  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
I have yet to catch a sticker with a fish attached to it ;D Nice morning Hali 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:49:02 PM »
I have yet to catch a sticker with a fish attached to it
   ;D ;D ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect