Author Topic: First Hooping Trip of the New Season (10/14)  (Read 1811 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
First Hooping Trip of the New Season (10/14)
« on: October 17, 2021, 08:28:11 AM »
I got the invite to head out hooping after work and couldn't turn it down.  Met up and launched in plenty of time to get a really good initial soak.  The night before had some great numbers being caught, so hopefully they were on the crawl.

After we dropped our 1st set, other boats were dropping all around and right on top of us!  What a mess!  We have floats with LED lights on the end of posts, so there is no missing these things, except apparently for the new boat owning Googans out there!  This ass ran right through a bunch or buoys and right into our buoy cutting the line and breaking the buoy in the process.  We were hoping it was stuck in their prop, but it wasn't.  There goes a $100 Promar deep hoop.. Ugh...

The Googan...

So now we're down to 9 hoops...  Picken was tough.  Lots of sheep crab out there on the crawl coming into the inlet.

I've tried eating these fuggers, and nope.  Not a fan.  Tastes like really gamey and/or fermented crab.  Not my style.

We got some crab here and there, but we always had a bunch of sand dollars in the net.

Our deep drops were hard as hell to bring in since they were loaded with sand dollars!

Every deep net was full of them, while the shallow nets had about almost as much.

We did get some shorts here and there..

We did reach 2 legals along with 2 that were(nt) keepers as they were less than a hair off.  I was going to keep them, but my buddy said he wasn't comfortable with them being right on the line so we released them.

The sand dollars were coming over in bucketloads! Unreal how many sand dollars can get into a promar fixed hoop!

Floating cities were on the move with the biggest and brightest TV screen I've ever seen!

We called it quits at 2:30 am and left with 2 legals and 2 big crab.

Nothing stellar at all, but great to get back out on the water.  Time to get home, sleep for a few hours and then start getting ready for the big poker game I was hosting Friday.  This was going to be a long weekend.

At this point, I got a text about going Swordfishing on Saturday... I can't pass on that, so it was going to be a long fun weekend with only a little sleep this weekend before I head to work on Sunday!

Thanks for reading and until the next trip....

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: First Hooping Trip of the New Season (10/14)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 09:11:59 AM »
Cool report. There’s been one of those floating cities on the Huntington flat for the past week, kinda wondering why it hasn’t shipped off to Cabo yet. Hope you’re rearing up to write a success story on the swords!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
If only you could have used them sand dollars for your poker game ;D  The floating city is impressive when all lit up :o

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:40:23 PM »
You always were good at catching crabs.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)