Author Topic: 24" Legal Halibut And More In NC On the LC AMReport9/5  (Read 1608 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
24" Legal Halibut And More In NC On the LC AMReport9/5
« on: September 05, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
I've been hearing all around that the swell was gonna pick up really good starting today and through Tuesday. I also heard for the first time ever, there was four category four storms(Hurricanes), out in the Pacific Ocean at the same time. That is just nuts. Now back to the report.

Hit the AO at 5AM, and got out of the car and could hear the waves crashing pretty hard. Kind of bummed me out at first. I did wait to just first light to start fishing. I tied on the Lucky Craft 115 MR Surf Pointer Ayame in Sexy Smelt pattern. 15# test Izorline XXX and my Diawa Coastal 7 Ft.

There was bait fish all around. Not to much wind to speak of, but there was big waves and a really strong surge. I had to fight the salad to get a good cast in the zone.

Conditions shot.

Lots of White water it wasnt easy finding the zone, but eventually I did.

When I would do a quick retrieve to dodge some big kelp strands I could see bait fish jump out of the water due to my quick pulls on the line. I thought to myself, Awesome! But I really thought it was to rough for any Halibut to be around.

After about ten minutes in I feel a nice little tap tap. Set the hook and brought in a Yellowfin Croaker.

About two casts later I get hit with my target species. California Halibut.

Really liked the colors on this fish!

Just as I threw that flattie back in the water. I cast out again and immediately my lure stops in its tracks. BAM! Fish on! Now this was an exciting catch the whole way in. Waves were hitting me hard and I was backing her in and my flip flop comes off. Focus on the fight and keep my line tight, I was walking her back in and it felt like I was walking backwards for a mile. Even when I had her almost beached she made some nice drag pulling runs! Love that sound. She was flopping all over the place and in what seemed 6 inches of water, she kicks back out for another drag run. Got the adrenaline flowing for sure. Loved that fight! Took about 15 minutes and felt like half an hour.

24" Halibut

Taped shots.

I know I need a new tape measure. But its all I had to use at the moment. Im glad I had at least that. Time for a new tape. =)

Started it at 30" and ended at 54"

Nice colors on this fish too! I kept this one for fresh tacos this Labor Day Weekend.

ground shot

Went back out to it and tried for another Halibut and it took me about 10 more minutes and then I get a nice fighter. Not as strong, but this one was a 20" Halibut and a good fight in rough conditions.

Last Halibut of the day.

Surfers were having a blast out there and the beach was filling up fast with holiday beach goers, so I called it a morning and went and got some breakfast.

Thanks for reading and good luck out there, and be safe this weekend!

Joel