Author Topic: Lots of Bait in the Water  (Read 1301 times)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Lots of Bait in the Water
« on: February 04, 2023, 08:33:42 PM »
I rented a 26 foot Reef Runner to take my Mom's ashes out to sea. And as my Mother would have expected, I took my fishing poles out with me. We went out of LA harbor and headed straight out toward Catalina. About 2 miles out. I started seeing pelicans diving. Next thing we know we are seeing baitfish breaking the surface in big patches all around. Got the ashed out in a white cloud in the clear blue water. So now where are the bait...
Saw some about 100 feet away so got my pole ready to troll a lure. While I'm getting ready they start popping up all around the boat... of course. As soon as I got my line out and started trolling they were gone. The fish finder showed they just sank down to about 15 feet below the surface. I trolled around heading into several schools but didn't get a bite. Didn't really expect to but it was worth a try. Also cruised along shore by Point Fermon and saw several promising mounds holding fish, but only brought limited tackel and no bait. So just made note on the areas to take my Kayak later.
Nice day on the water. A little bit of waves but no white caps.
Honestly, it would've made my day to see a dolphin or a tuna in the baitfish but just getting out there knocks another thing off my wish list.

-Keith

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of Bait in the Water
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:10:00 PM »
Oh yeah, ton of bait out there right now. Not much chasing it yet in the way of gamefish, but all the pelicans in the world are out there.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 07:04:18 AM »
Respect
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 07:05:22 AM »
Bait is everywhere, even down here in San Diego.  I can think of no better places to have my ashes scattered than in the SoCal bight when it's my time.  RIP to your mom and you're good son.  Every fishing trip out on the ocean will have your mom out there with you.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 06:15:30 PM »
Nice way to honor Mom!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)