Author Topic: Bad case of the "bat" back 04/23  (Read 3282 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Bad case of the "bat" back 04/23
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
The usual suspects... Binh and I... on our usual Thursday night soiree for beasts. Tossed out some mack and started the bait and wait. Binh gets a solid run within minutes. Straight pull to Catalina... BAT. After fiddling with his rod for a few seconds, he puts it in gear and then his line goes slack :( Not sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure it's operator error ;)

I'm getting plenty of critter bites, but ignore most of them. Waiting for that line ripper. Rod tip begins to bounce around... head shakes for sure! Hook is set and I can't really tell if I have kelp or a fish. I button down the drag to get it over with. A few seconds in and I finally get a little head shake. Sweet, not kelp! I've had my fill of that. He's no match for my gear, but the skunk is off.

Sucks that my belly is bigger than the leo :'(

At this point Binh is in my face telling me how he thinks this night is "super fishy" and we're gonna hook up. Dude is stoked! He has the right attitude.  That's why I fish with him... and he's turning into a proper sand hand. LOL!!!

And just like that, he hooks up! Same tell tale straight pull with no head shakes... bat. Yeah. Can you tell I'm not excited. He makes short work of the little guy.

It looks a lot bigger than it is in the pic. Maybe 35"+ Sweet, the skunk is off for both of us!!

Last bait, last cast time. The tide is nearing it's peak and it's getting late. I get a ripper of hit and it's game on! Ugh... straight pull, no head shakes... bat. Again, I'm not excited. Surf bats hurt.
50"+ surf bats hurt a lot!! It turned into a near 15 minute battle. Bat strength vs my old and battered back.  I won ;D

This girl was BIG. I was honestly thinking "f@ck, is it 60"?!!!" She fought so f'ing hard!! Super thick with a big 'ol head like Mike Tyson. Very preggo too. It took me several tries to get her revived to and swimming home. The surf beached her a few times. More wear and tear on me back. I'm smiling, but crying on the inside and you guessed it... my back hurts.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Bad case of the "bat" back 04/23
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
 Good session guys. Haven't hooked into a surf bat for a while.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
Wow Mike what a beast! Nice guys.

I had a 45 on the 12' stick and it sucked. Can't imagine a 54+ ... dude!!  :o :o :o

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »
Lol, operator error. Lol

Well done guys. You're on a bat ray tear lately. Glad you got a grinner, but it's only a matter of time before it's the right kind.

Excellent work, and Binh.... No more operator error! Lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
Tell me about the big surf bats... I'm really over them  ..they were fun at first, but after many 50"+... My back is done lol

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Lol, operator error. Lol

Well done guys. You're on a bat ray tear lately. Glad you got a grinner, but it's only a matter of time before it's the right kind.

Excellent work, and Binh.... No more operator error! Lol

No more messing with the drag during a straight pull.  :-X

2x over the bats, we want the grinners now.  >:(
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
Nice work guys! reviving Tom's donkey few weeks ago was like towin a vw bug into waist deep water and I tried knee deep water twice only to have her swim back ankle deep with the surge... the things u do for friends ;) at least it was your fish!

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »
What a beast!
If you guys keep that up you'll end up in surgery next to Tom!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »
Very nice

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »
Tell me about the big surf bats... I'm really over them  ..they were fun at first, but after many 50"+... My back is done lol

Ditto here Ramon, that's what Denny is for!  Whenever I get a run without head shakes...........hand the rod to the kid  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
  Nice Thursday session, that's a monster Bat 8)    At least operator error didn't result in gear getting a bath......again ;D

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
got em
GET OUT AND GET BIT..