Author Topic: What's Your Take?  (Read 2581 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
What's Your Take?
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:21:30 AM »
From "Talk Baja" yesterday....

There was a face to face conflict today between charters from the San Diego sportfishing fleet and several of the local San Quintin sportfishing operators, mostly on pangas. Several of the San Diego charters had been anchored on a spot referred to locally as "240" for a few days, making it extremely difficult for the locals to get in on any of the action. The 240 is a very popular location for local sportfishing charters to take their customers - mostly tourists - to virtually "guarantee" a successful day of fishing.

Repeated calls on the radio from the local fishermen to the San Diego charters asking for cooperation, all went unanswered. Tempers finally flared when one of the San Diego charters pulled a maneuver that cut the lines of one the local pangas that was "hooked up", with several of the anglers and crew members on the San Diego charter cursing at the local pangas and making obscene gestures.

Immediately some of the local boats retaliated, swarming the visiting charter and threatening to cut their anchor line. At that point the San Diego captains did get on their radios finally and attempted to negotiate an arrangement where all could fish together somehow, but it was too late.

A local San Quintin sportfishing owner, Kelly Catian got on the radio with the San Diego captains and explained that in spite of them having all their permits to fish here, they had failed to observe a couple of key stipulations of those permits which include maintaining a minimum distance of 600 meters from local commercial fishing operations and avoiding any conflicts with the local fishing operators. They had violated both provisions and it was explained to them that they were simply no longer welcome.

By that time the radio chatter was extremely hot among the local fishermen and a few were calling on their radios for more pangas in the area to come over in support. The situation was escalating quickly and at that point most of the San Diego charters made the decision that it was indeed better to leave the area and help diffuse the situation.
One of the San Diego charters however, the INTREPID, refused to leave with them and a strong war of words ensued; more obscene gestures were exchanged between the anglers and crew of the INTREPID and the local pangas and the situation became extremely tense. At that point the captain of the INTREPID finally came out on the deck, apologized for what had occurred, pulled anchor and left the area.

The local San Quintin sportfishing operators all plan to file complaints with both state and federal officials over what they see as a clear violation of the rules and generally accepted industry guidelines.

Captain Juan Cook of the SLAPTAIL explained that these longe range San Diego fishing charters can basically fish wherever they want, many with a range of over 1000 miles. When several of them come in on a local "hot spot" like this, anchor for days with hundreds of anglers onboard, they basically clean out an area of all the game fish. They cause serious harm to the local panga operators who only hope to catch maybe 5 or 6 good fish for the day to be able to keep their customers happy and put food on the table back home. None of these San Diego charters contribute any economic benefit whatsoever to the local San Quintin economy and are widely viewed as a cancer to the local fishing industry.
We'll continue to monitor the story - stay tuned...

Here is the Facebook link if you want to read about it.

https://www.facebook.com/TalkBajaMexico/posts/702639793207332
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Take?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 06:53:04 AM »
DB move on the SD boat. Its their waters remember were only guests. Better to have offered a case of beers and some burgers than to saw em off. Also I know its hard for locals to take it up with the corrupt government so these actions unfortunately are what's gonna happen. The visa/permit money doesn't really make it to the folks at San Quintin AFAIK.

On another note the seiners have been doing a number on the yellowfin sending what's left down and out of the normal "grounds" thus forcing the SD fleet inshore. And again, almost useless to complain to the Mexican government cause they're busy raking in the dough.

My 0.02.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
I get it and see how tempers flared on both sides.

SD boats were clearly at fault and need to issue an apology.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »
Probably best to keep the duct tape on my mouth for this one ... Just can't figure out how to wrap my fingers too ...

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »
Probably best to keep the duct tape on my mouth for this one ... Just can't figure out how to wrap my fingers too ...

Taking in the entire story and actions taken by both sides... what's your duct tape for?  I think your opinion is welcomed as we all have an opinion and this is as political as I'll let this website get since it solely pertains to fishing and is a fishing related incident.

I'm guessing you are siding with the Sport Boats for some reason, but that is merely speculation on my part without really having any clue whose side you are on.

I'm really not on either side as I have had numerous issues with Sport Boats and their owners and captains.  I also don't believe those panga guys should have f@cked with the sport boats chum line and muscled in (You know that's what they were doing or something close to it to warrant the boat cutting their lines).  Whatever the case may be, the gestures, cursing and in a metaphorical term "Sinker bombs" should not have been cast at them on their own fishing grounds.  (metaphorically speaking)
Funny as how they said they wanted to fish the hump because of guaranteed fish, but the sport boat cut them off from a hanging fish?  Lot's of stuff is left out of this story.

I'm stuck right in the middle actually, but leaning towards the Mexican side since it's in Mexican waters.  Then again, I wasn't there so don't know what the entire story is.  I'm only reading one person's rendition of what he saw/heard.

The more I think about it.... I hate both sides equally I think. lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
Easy way to make the fleet and landings basically worth half or less. Get the sport boats kicked out of Mexico.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 03:37:48 PM »
I usually regret speaking my mind, but that tends to be after midnight and nearly a fifth in  :P :P :P

Actually I don't have 'side' for this one. Party boats have their permission, locals have their 'home turf'. Neither is wrong, neither is right, but it should have been handled over burgers and beers not lobbing insults and lead weights. I understand why the big boats were there, and I don't believe those long range guys anchor up on inshore high spots unless the fishing really really really sucks ass.

What i really don't like are the seiner operations. Amazing what they have done to the tuna counts in recent weeks. Just amazing ...

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
The more I read into it, I'm not on either side.

I don't think they will ban us, they want our money.

Kinda funny they were throwing sinkers at each other .

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 07:55:49 PM »
Without taking sides, I have to ask myself what if "the shoe were on the other foot"?  How would we feel if long range sport boats out of Mexico anchored up on our local favorite spots?  Tom is right, this could and should have been handled differently...............respect, Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Boz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »
Reminds me of some old times fishing La Jolla.  Lot's of frustrated people on both sides of the argument.  I hope the incident just goes away quietly and no long term ramifications result. 

I guess what bothers me more is that most fisherman are real A-Holes.  WTF gives one a right to cast "sinker bombs" at another person?