Author Topic: Bat fight practice 3/29  (Read 2543 times)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Bat fight practice 3/29
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:25:16 PM »
So with dredging casting doubt about the Batfight ( they're dredging the Carlsbad lagoon too) I wanted to recon the surf where I've had some success with the Rays in the past. A solo sesh, I hit the spot just before sundown with macs for bait. Gave the first bait a good soak because weight was holding and conditions were great ( no weeds). 1st bait comes back critter chewed, so at least I'm getting bit. Macs are kinda small so their getting cut in half, tail section pinned and sent out. I'm getting the hang of my new Saltist 30/ Penn Battalion/ 50# braid and 80# topshot. I can barely feel the FG knot when it rus thru the guides (tying this from now on). Good soak going and baits holding, but line is slacking up, reel down to tighten it up and there is life on the end of my line, it's good weight on the end of my line when I set the 10/0 octopus to it! Good heavy initial run to the north so I'm thinking I got a bat but the run doesn't last before it turns south. Gain a bunch of line back on the turn, but I'm feeling weird twangs like it's running low and snagging reef. Getting worried about that. Line starts slacking I'm thinking dang break off! but keep reeling, it's heading at me! Catch up to it again! I know it's not a bat, but there's a deeper trough for it get some more big drag pulls. When I get to where I can see it's bronzy shillotte in the moonlit skinny, it's long tail flips and curls and I know it's my first Seven gill! Sneak up from behind and grab for the tip of its tail, yeah she knows I'm there and swings at me with her mouth (LOL nervously).Grabbed again, and heather onto the very cobbly beach! She's a big girl at 83", wide head and body. Didn't want take too long with pics in slick cobble so carefully remove the hook and dragged back into the trough. Amped over it all, I only stayed a little longer. Was off the beach by 1000. Sorry so long but I hope you liked the read... Joel is gonna post some pics in comments as my phone needs updating (Dad phone problems ::). Good luck to allBat Fighters tomorrow. Peace!

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Bat fight practice 3/29
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »
2018-03-30_08-17-01

2018-03-30_08-17-21

Here is Jerry's first Female 83" Sevengill. Solo Land and release and pictures.

See everyone tomorrow and LET's bring the title back to San Diego!  8) 8) 8)

Congrats on your first SevenGill Sharkinthedark!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:35:10 PM by HalibutJoel99 »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Nice one Jerry

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:33:58 PM »
Congrats..Jerry. Solo 7gill can be a bitch. That's why you gotta bring Joel to sand hand.  ;D
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 12:22:43 AM »
Congrats Jerry on your first Sevengill!  Quite the accomplishment landing your first one solo! 

I'll get it on the list on Sunday as well as the other guys.  I'm going to be beat tomorrow!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:44:37 AM »
Solo 7gill is awesome and it's a legit sized one to!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
Congrats Jerry on your first Sevengill!  Quite the accomplishment landing your first one solo!

Could not agree more, much congrats   :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »

I'll get it on the list on Sunday as well as the other guys.  I'm going to be beat tomorrow!

Nice job on the solo!
Anybody have an emergency beer?