Author Topic: Point Loma  (Read 1144 times)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Point Loma
« on: April 23, 2023, 09:15:14 PM »
 Took The Cyclops to Point Loma on Saturday to look for Sheephead, it was a beautiful day 8)

Got to our spot and dropped down a frozen shrimp, 1 minute into it I sot slammed by something Big :o 3 or 4 solid runs pulling drag like crazy, then dead weight and popped my 25Lb. leader >:(

Made a move since that was the only action there, decided to fish the pipe and landed a couple Gophers (thanks, Tom for the fish ID)

Myles is usually the Hot Stick and lands the first fish but he was not having much luck, but he was comfortable ;D

This was Janie's first trip in open water and she got to use her new rod and reel to feel the fish nibbles. She had a great time until blowing chunks ruined her day ::)

My buddy hooked a Sculpin that had Myles' broken leader in it's mouth, got his swivel and hook back ;D

I scratched a nice Whitefish to at least have some taco meat since we ditched the gophers 8)

The day was still young so we headed int The Bay, it was a SH%T Show to say the least, every sailboat and big Yachts were on the water and had no problem waking us out as we tried to fish for Spotties >:( My buddy got a nice one on a homemade A-Rig  8)

Made it back to the Launch Ramp and had to wait for the Tour Boat to get towed out of the water. All in all, it was a slow but fun day, just not sure Janie is sold on open water fishing, same with Max, weak stomachs will keep them in the Bay from now on I think :(

Thanks for the Radio Chat, Tom, it was a beautiful day out there, I'm going out again on Wednesday if conditions allow ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Point Loma
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 10:03:39 PM »
Nice day! They just need to grow into the open water. Try a dab of peppermint oil on the roof of the mouth when feeling woozy.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 05:21:41 AM »
Awesome Tim, good to see a report from you on the open water.  Bummer about her getting sick, that sucks
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:50 AM »
Good talking with you out there.  You're going to need to take that boat on a trip offshore just to see new areas and wildlife if the open water!

Really bummer on the lost 60# white sea bass.  Did he bite through the line?

(I'm just teasing you, but it well could have been!)  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 08:28:15 AM »
Didn't bite thru the line, after the runs it just stopped, thought I was hung up in the kelp so I tugged a bit harder and popped the leader in 1/2 :(