Author Topic: Belize  (Read 7863 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Belize
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 03:06:37 AM »
T-minus 2 days.....

Excited for you! Can’t wait to see the report.

Same here, have fun Tom
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
So many questions on multiple apps to fill out.  Sheesh... Finally all done and ready for my 4:30am pick up. 

Only thing which has me squinching my eyes a little is I just got off the phone with my buddy.  He was all stoked and said he invited a few of his neighbors on our river trip that aren't huge fishermen.  Said it will be fun drinking some beers and doing some fishing....  Apparently he does not know that I want to be a little more serious when fishing than drinking beers with non-fishermen packed in a boat.  I guess I'll just play it by ear and just deal and enjoy.  hahahaha  (That's a nervous laugh)  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 03:59:49 PM »
So many questions on multiple apps to fill out.  Sheesh... Finally all done and ready for my 4:30am pick up. 

Only thing which has me squinching my eyes a little is I just got off the phone with my buddy.  He was all stoked and said he invited a few of his neighbors on our river trip that aren't huge fishermen.  Said it will be fun drinking some beers and doing some fishing....  Apparently he does not know that I want to be a little more serious when fishing than drinking beers with non-fishermen packed in a boat.  I guess I'll just play it by ear and just deal and enjoy.  hahahaha  (That's a nervous laugh)  ;D

Oy....

Maybe catch something tasty on a solo mission on day 1 and assert your value as a provider. They might give you your space to fish after that.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
Just for people reading this on the forum, I'll give you a few notes from my trip. It's really hard fishing from the mainland, but there are beasts that swim here, just not an abundance of fish due to all the gill nets which devistated the fishery until they recently banned them. 
Apparently, I can fight huge fish to shore on bass gear only to realize they have a freak out switch when they get 10' from shore. Nothing like what you see on fishing shows on TV.  Also, 100# tarpon are scary when they finally get close and launch like a Saturn V rocket and your arms are dead from fighting them and never dealt with such big and crazy minnows before. Also, a 20# Crevalle on bass gear should be outlawed. Unless you are on a boat and can chase them a little, trying to run on rocks and sponge grass while maneuvering around coconut trees is just about impossible. More to come when I get home.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
Wow, tangling with beasts. Sounds wild. Interesting note on the gill nets. Awaiting the report!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2021, 06:39:15 AM »
Sounds like a great experience, I'm sure the adrenaline rush was nonstop  8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2021, 07:10:41 AM »
Just for people reading this on the forum, I'll give you a few notes from my trip. It's really hard fishing from the mainland, but there are beasts that swim here, just not an abundance of fish due to all the gill nets which devistated the fishery until they recently banned them. 
Apparently, I can fight huge fish to shore on bass gear only to realize they have a freak out switch when they get 10' from shore. Nothing like what you see on fishing shows on TV.  Also, 100# tarpon are scary when they finally get close and launch like a Saturn V rocket and your arms are dead from fighting them and never dealt with such big and crazy minnows before. Also, a 20# Crevalle on bass gear should be outlawed. Unless you are on a boat and can chase them a little, trying to run on rocks and sponge grass while maneuvering around coconut trees is just about impossible. More to come when I get home.

Can't wait to hear the details!!!!!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »
Boat guide hired.  Fishing Ambergris Caye, Reefs and Flats looking for about everything that swims.  Got intel on the New River as well as other Freshwater areas to try out and there will be plenty of flats/mangrove fishing only 50 feet where I'm staying.  Going to hit some Mayan Ruins and the week will be over before I know it.  I need to get my shoulder improved x2 by this time next month!

Don’t f@ck it up and blow my late summer.

Yeah Tom you Bastid!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2021, 07:06:41 AM »
Hey guys, I'm back.  I'm trying to go through some of the 700 pictures I took while down there and a week in Belize seemed to get a years worth of observations and experiences.
Belize has always been on my bucket list with the way it has been painted from TV and magazines, but I probably put expectations too high as I lived and saw all the areas outside of the "Cruiseline Zone" so much was a reality hit on me.  It was a fantastic experience and I wouldn't have traded it for the world, but will definitely know how to design my trip next time for a better fishing experience.
I'm probably going to have to make 3 separate posts to cover the entire trip.  I don't think I sat still for the entire week and felt really lucky to make it back home.  Let's just say I had to bribe some nurses to break in to get my documents and somehow get to Belize City when the entire country ran out of Gas on Tuesday...  It was definitely an adventure....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:19:07 AM by Latimeria »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2021, 02:22:15 PM »
Nice teaser. Glad you made it back.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2021, 10:40:47 PM »
Holy s#!t! That’s wild.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2021, 08:14:09 AM »
I want to start with an apology as I came home from Belize to a bad family issue which is becoming a nightmare scenario.  Please be patient as I’m having a really tough time trying to cope as it’s way beyond anything I’ve ever experienced.  Thanks for understanding.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2021, 07:03:48 PM »
Sending positive thoughts your way, Tom. Take your time.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2021, 03:40:30 AM »
I want to start with an apology as I came home from Belize to a bad family issue which is becoming a nightmare scenario.  Please be patient as I’m having a really tough time trying to cope as it’s way beyond anything I’ve ever experienced.  Thanks for understanding.

You're in my thoughts..................................

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2021, 08:17:53 AM »

Thanks Verne and Jeremy.