Author Topic: shark help  (Read 2161 times)

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
shark help
« on: July 19, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »
Watsup guys I have been fishing for shark in the surf and piers for a long long time but have yet to catch my first soupfin. Any tips or advice would be awesome? Not sure if its the rig or not but I'm guessing that slide downs would be the ticket?

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: shark help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
Join the club. I haven't caught one yet either. Hell, I don't have a surf bat yet either.  ???

7 Gill and soupies are on the exotic list because they are not all that common to catch.

Granted there was a 7 gill tear there for a while though.

Jim

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:30:51 AM »
Well, generally we find the soupfin biting more in the late spring to fall.  They seem to like slightly warmer waters, so now is the time to get out there and to keep trying.
I wish I had a magic answer for you, but one of the spots we catch the most soupfin at has a large reef and a large sandy bottom next to it with the kelp beds generally close (Soup Kitchen).  I'm not sure if they like swimming over the sandy areas looking for food and use the reef to attract their prey or what, but having the three variables there (Kelp/Reef/Sandy Area) will at least give you the best opportunity to get one.

I have not tried the slide baits, just use a 3-way.  The soupies also seem to bee further out than the Sevens and a good long cast seems like the way to go from all the one's I've caught.

I know it's not a direct answer, but I hope that helps you in catching your quarry!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Fresh2salt

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
    • Fresh2salt
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »
yea I thought they were more on the exotic side. Good tip I'm for sure going to try to get the bait out further maby using pulleys .

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:49:42 PM »
Hell, I don't have a surf bat yet either.

And I don't have a "bay bat"  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect