Author Topic: Penn 500 Jigmaster  (Read 17864 times)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Penn 500 Jigmaster
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:11:33 PM »
Ok feel free to flame away if I'm off base here LOL ::)
I was going through all my tackle and getting organized after our move and forgot I had this setup.
It's a Penn 500 jigmaster on a 7' tuna stick that I had picked up as a combo at Sports Chalet 12-15 years ago.
Took it on a day boat once and never used it.
I'm wondering if I could use this as a second setup for rays and sharks?
I'm thinking mainly in the bays/harbors since it's pretty short for surf use. 
How is this reel for casting?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 500 Jigmaster
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
That will work just fine i would say. Not going to put out too much drag, over 30lb line is probably pointless unless it's for abrasion protection.

Jigmasters cast pretty well. Not amazing, but you should be fine to fish the bay.

Make sure the drag is smooth and clean and relube for best performance after sitting that long.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:05:54 PM by sasquatch »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
Like Steve said.  I used one for years for mud marlin in the bay and it worked out perfect!  The surf, it should work pretty good also along with that rod, but your casts will be limited as compared to the long rods and if there is any signs of grass in the surf, the waves will pile it on since the rod length won't allow you to extend up beyond the shore breakers.  With all of that said, it should work just fine, especially for big leopards. 

A bigger rod holder might help out with the height also.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
Right on, thanks guys!
I'll clean it up, relube it, and spool up some 30lb big game mono on it.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
I love my Jigmasters. The aftermarket for them is big and you can get them to put out over 20# of drag nowadays. I still prefer my modded 501 for hucking iron on 40#. I also find it relaxing rebuilding them after ever trip.  ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »
Can still get a pretty decent long rod for said Penn 500 for less than a $100!!

http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/sale/shopby/casting-spinning/surf.html?multi_param=true

+ if you're a first time customer, you automatically get a coupon for $25 off your purchase of a $100 or more! The Daiwa Emblem is a great starter surf rod for the guys on a budget. They're ranging in price from $59.97 to $101.97. The more expensive one is a casting rod, perfect for your Penn 500, and qualifies for $25 off.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »
Mike,
Thanks for the recommendation!
I'd love to pic up one of those rods, but even as a budget rod, it still doesn't fit mine LOL.
I got some line for the jigmaster, but am going to have to stick with the rod it's on for now.
My budget will pretty much only allow for bait at this point.  I'll keep it in mind for down the road though!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »
Mike,
Thanks for the recommendation!
I'd love to pic up one of those rods, but even as a budget rod, it still doesn't fit mine LOL.
I got some line for the jigmaster, but am going to have to stick with the rod it's on for now.
My budget will pretty much only allow for bait at this point.  I'll keep it in mind for down the road though!

The rod you will still totally work! Was just throwing it out there in case you were looking. That setup is perfect for the bay.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)