Author Topic: Halibut - you're gonna need a bigger net!  (Read 1337 times)

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Halibut - you're gonna need a bigger net!
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »
This was last Saturday's session.  After getting no bites at the beach, I joined my fishing buddy at the small pier.  He was fishing chovies, while I was casting small jigs catching macks for bait.  He got a massive hit, and I could tell it was a nice one.  Turned out to be a whopper halibut.  Damn that butt was huge, the video doesn't do justice.  I went down the ledge and he handed me his net. Well that net was a bit too small for the size of the halibut he had on the other end of his line.  I was afraid the butt will just go ape sh!t and either pop the hook or bust his line.  I didn't know what size of leader he was using. So I decided to just try and lip the butt with my pliers.  My pliers was about 4 inches from the butt's mouth while holding on to his leader trying to keep the butt from going under the pier and rub his line against the sharp edges of the pier when his line parted!  Aaarrggg!  What a heart break!!!  I decided to dropper loop a live mack I caught, hoping there are more monster butt in the area.  After about an hour of soaking, I got a massive hit.  By the time I got to my rod, the line went slack.  I kept watch on the rod hoping for whatever bit it would come back.  Nada!  Reeled in my line to check the bait, and found out all what's left of the fat mack was the head.  That's all she wrote.

Video of the heart break!
https://youtu.be/8JW23GWhK3g

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: Halibut - you're gonna need a bigger net!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
Bummer dude! Nice fish.

That video actually makes the net look big enough to scoop it. Angles can be deceiving though.

Would have let it swim head first into the net personally ... were you trying to get that from the tail? That won't work  ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:23:24 PM by WheresMyBeer »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Halibut - you're gonna need a bigger net!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
Wow!  Nice!

I've got my share of big halibut on mack heads soaking for sharks and rays before. 
Awesome to see that and YES!  YOU DO NEED A BIGGER NET OR A LONG GAFF!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.