Author Topic: Fenwick  (Read 2364 times)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Fenwick
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:30:10 PM »
 So, my neighbor gave me a pair of rods today, not sure when they were used last. I know he hasn't used them in 30 years that I know of. They are in great shape, just wondering if they still have life in them ? Are they worth messing with or just buy new ones since the materials are much better today ?  They are 7' and he thinks they are 20-50 Lb.  the ratings are unreadable. any input would be appreciated. I did see them for sale from $60 to $245 on ebay but I am not looking to sell them, just trying to get opinions from my fellow fisherman  ;) Here are a few pics

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:07 PM »
Throw a reel on them and fish them. They caught fish back in their day, they will catch fish now. Lol.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 04:57:34 AM »
Those would be great boat rods Tim, for anything from rockfish to tuna.  I'd put (at minimum) a Squall or Fathom N25, 30 or 40 size on them and you'll be able to inshore troll, bottom fish and live bait with them. Rods look great from the pics.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »
Those would be great boat rods Tim, for anything from rockfish to tuna.  I'd put (at minimum) a Squall or Fathom N25, 30 or 40 size on them and you'll be able to inshore troll, bottom fish and live bait with them. Rods look great from the pics.

X2 I’ve picked up a couple custom fenwick blanks from the 70s/80s in the last year and they’re great. Old glass blanks have a specific feel that you don’t get from today’s graphite/composite sticks. The old glass is particularly good for bait applications.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »
Fish em! Great bottom rods. Used to have a few of those Fenglass back in the back. Used to get a nice bend on em fishing for albies.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 06:26:38 AM »
 Thanks for all the input, I guess I have a couple of rods that will be put to use now 8)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »
I get 1 or 2 a year visit my workbench. Based on the work done there's a few out there still slaying fish.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 08:22:06 PM »
 Didn't want to dump too much $$ into them so I picked up a used Sealine 40 and a new Penn Warfare 30, should keep the kids busy on some bottom fish ::) They did pretty good in school this last grading period so I went ahead and goth them each a Komodo 364 from Turner's today :) They can save their money and buy the rods to go with them, Dad needs to stay away from Turner's :o

Time to chill on the gear  ::) ::)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 09:55:51 PM »
Very cool Tim.