Author Topic: I hate back pain!  (Read 4294 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
I hate back pain!
« on: June 13, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
That is all.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
Re: I hate back pain!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
sucks

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
Mine is deformed from a 15 yr old injury.

Back pain is part of the daily routine.

Doesn't help that work requires heavy lifting.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Mine is deformed from a 15 yr old injury.

Back pain is part of the daily routine.

Doesn't help that work requires heavy lifting.

Ditto with the lifting plus lots of bending and stooping. I can't stretch enough to keep my back pliable.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Back pain sucks.  Best of luck.

Of course everyone is different, but I feel like I have a system figured out that keeps mine under control.  We can chat if you want.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Back pain sucks.  Best of luck.

Of course everyone is different, but I feel like I have a system figured out that keeps mine under control.  We can chat if you want.

Spill the beans. My back pain is the result of limited activity that keeps all of the muscles associated with the hips and back tightened and not relaxed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
I got folded backwards on a hit in football and have suffered a thrown back at least a few times per year since I was 20. I've even sneezed and been on the ground for 3 days before. No Fun.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
I got folded backwards on a hit in football and have suffered a thrown back at least a few times per year since I was 20. I've even sneezed and been on the ground for 3 days before. No Fun.

I've thrown out my back sneezing as well! Sucks. Debilitating. Can't stop playing basketball. Next to fishing and my kids, it's when I feel the happiest.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:11:16 PM »
Spill the beans. My back pain is the result of limited activity that keeps all of the muscles associated with the hips and back tightened and not relaxed.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Once you have an old back injury, from then on it's tight muscles that cause the pain.

Here's my system, which is based on working a desk job.  I'm 31, weigh 210 lbs, and I had a discectomy on my L5-S1 disc in 2010.  They had to remove nearly half the disc, which had broken off and was impinging on my sciatic nerve.  I was given the option of steel rods, but I chose not to get them in hopes that rehab and PT would get me back to normal.  The first year of recovery was a bitch, worst year of my life by far.  Since then I usually have a relapse once or twice a year, but lately I've been on a pretty good streak of being pain free.

Sitting vs. standing - Sitting all day with good posture shortens your hip flexors, which makes it hard to stand up straight.  Add bad posture (slouching) on top of that, and your discs compress in the front and open up in the back.  Your core muscles that are supposed to keep your spine neutral also become weak or out of balance.  Standing is great, but do it too much and you'll end up in pain when your muscles get tight.  I have an adjustable desk at work, and I've found that not sitting or standing for more than 2 hours straight gives the best results.

Walking - Walk to the farthest bathroom in your building.  Drink extra water so you have to get up more often.  Park in the no ding section of parking lots and walk a bit more.  Add a quick 5-10 min walk after you eat lunch.

Warm ups vs Stretching - Never stretch before a workout or stretch just for the heck of it.  Do warm ups instead.  5 minutes on the elliptical is what I do at the gym.  After the workout I stretch for a good 15 mins, but I don't try to force anything.  Nothing worse than trying to reach that extra distance to touch your toes and then pull your back in the process.  I mostly focus on my hamstrings, calves, and hip flexors.  Don't do any weird yoga stuff where you arch your back.  A neutral lower spine is your friend.

Lifting weights - Here's where I might lose people because you need a gym membership or your own weights.  This has been huge for me though.  My two favorite lifts are the hex bar deadlift (google it) or weighted lunges (holding a dumbbell in each hand).  You can keep your lower back in a neutral position for both of those lifts.  Squat and regular barbell deadlift cause me pain, because I have trouble keeping my spine neutral.  Not many gyms have hex bars unfortunately.  Obviously, don't overdo it or try to go up in weight too quickly.

Running - No need to go crazy.  A 3 mile run once or twice a week is plenty.  When I'm busy I try to do one gym workout and one 3 mile run per week.  Warm up before or start out slow, save all the stretching until afterward.  Run with good form, land on your forefoot, not your heel.  I don't like to listen to music, because I don't want to zone out when I run.  I try to stay focused on what I'm doing and not let my form get sloppy as I get tired.  Walk the rest of the way if you feel any pain.

Activity vs. Rest - I try not to do physical activities two days in a row.  Back pain sometimes doesn't show up until a full day after I do something, so I space out my activities to make sure I'm not making something worse.

Bed Firmness - I don't think it matters much.  When I had my back surgery I bought a memory foam mattress, but recently I switched to a firm standard mattress and I think it's actually an improvement.  I would say lean towards the firm side.

Stress / Outlook on life - I've read opinions that the majority of back pain is in people's heads, but I don't buy it.  It's physical and it's real, but that doesn't mean that stress or negative thinking can't make it worse.  Something to think about.

Meds - Stay away from opiates.  The risk of addiction is too high.  I don't keep anything over the counter on hand because I'd rather address whatever is causing the pain, but when I go on road trips I usually pick up a small bottle of Ibuprofen to take with me.  Tylenol only deals with the sensation of pain, Ibuprofen actually reduces inflammation.  Alcohol can be a surprisingly effective pain killer, but impaired judgement and not being able to feel pain temporarily means you might do something stupid that makes you hurt more the next day.

I think I've typed out enough, haha.  I know everyone is different, but maybe something in there will be helpful.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 03:34:07 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of great info!  Thanks Ben!

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
I have a bad left rotator cuff.

I was working my chest with 90lb dumbells on the incline when it happened.

About ten yrs ago.

Some injuries never fully heal.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 02:11:17 AM »
Hip flexors, flutes, and the psoas are the biggest culprits! Supposed to foam roll daily. Never do. I do lots of stretches and yoga poses to stay limber and regular visits to my chiro helps the best.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 05:38:29 AM »
Damn, nice write up, Ben!  I've had similar back surgery and everything was great until this last slue of sharks this spring torqued it up again.  Thanks for writing that.

As for Mike... are you doing Yoga poses with Binh?  It would make a lot of sense why Binh keeps losing his clothes.   ;D :o ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Oh yeah, foam roller is good.  Especially if you have masochistic tendencies, haha.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
I've always had tight hammies and lower back. Deadlifts, back extentions, and a badass leg day has helped me a lot. Big emphasis on proper form ALWAYS.

Youtube Elliott Hulse. Dude has one of the better workout vids with explainations. He's done quite the research and his vids have helped me alot over the years. A gym membership is priceless knowing life wont be as painful later down the road.