Author Topic: Investigating Old Haunts (8/22)  (Read 2656 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Investigating Old Haunts (8/22)
« on: August 22, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
It's my granddaughter's birthday today and we have plans down at the lakes for some people to get together.  In the meantime, I had a few hours to kill, so ran down to the bay in this beautiful misty/cool weather!
God, the bay is just a mess.  Homeless, trash, zonies parked up and down every public street...  just a sad look to it.  I decided to try a few old areas that were slammed by the bay dredging and fishing seemed to go south in a hurry after that.  Foe two years, I haven't seemed to find many fish in these newly created deserts.  Maybe today would be different?

Well, it wasn't wide open, but there was a steady pick.

First fish was a butt, which I thought was a lump of grass at first.  I tried to slide him up for a picture, but the hook never got a good hookset and it did it's halibut flop and threw the hook.  Thankfully, he only swam towards me to get his bearings I guess, so I got a picture of him anyway!  I tried to free hand catch him, but he saw my mitts coming for him and poof!  Off he went!

I had a short bite and then a few casts later felt like I loaded up with weeds again!  This time I did a sweeping low hookset and realized it was exactly what I thought it was and another halibut!  Wow, not bad, 2 fish and neither of them were bass yet!  I actually thought it was the same fish at first, but I didn't see another hole in his mouth, but he also didn't let me check his mouth for long.

I worked my way down the beach and on a cast, had a skimmer fly into my line!  As I was burning in my cast to make sure it didn't cut into my line anywhere, I saw a hug wake behind my swimmy!  I slowed down the retrieve, but it scared what was chasing it and I saw a 2 foot silvery something make a 90 degree turn and bolt out of there leaving a big wake.  It was just in enough glare, that I couldn't positively ID it, but I saw it...  I almost thought a mullet, but pretty certain it might have been a corvina.  After a few dozen more casts, I moved on.

Finally found a bass...

and a little further down, I found another.

That was it.  Everything seemed to quiet down, so I moved to another spot which really went downhill after the dredging.  After talking with Dave on how bad this spot got, I wound up getting one, so hopefully this area is improving! (I managed two at this spot, but the second one was only about 5-7" long and it was stuck on the plastic, and not actually having the hook penetrating its mouth)

While walking along the rocks, I did a little Sasquatching... 

Well, that was it.  The bay started to turn on with all the weirdos, so it was time for me to head back East.  I am digging these cooler, wetter temps right now as next week is going to be miserably hot!

Thanks for reading....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Investigating Old Haunts (8/22)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 10:47:06 AM »
Nice haul.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 02:22:32 PM »
The Homies are everywhere it seems :( Conceal carry to be safe ;) You had better luck than we did in SD Bay, nice way to kill a few hours 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 03:16:32 AM »
Thanks for reading....

Thank you for writing, looked like a nice way to kill a few hours. 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 05:48:10 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I didn't do any fishing at Lydia's 2 year Birthday Party we had down at the Lakes.  The lady at the entrance asked if I was fishing and I said "nope".  She then asked why I have my fishing rod and tackle in the front seat, and I said "I always have it there in case an opportunity arises".  She responded with a devious sounding "Uh-huh".  Unfortunately the spot we reserved was right next to the guard shack and I'm not kidding that she saw where I was parked and was watching me.  Well, to my credit, I brought the attention to myself by when I saw her looking over our way, I would take the rod out of the front seat and act like I was tip-toing to the lake before turning around and putting the rod back in the car.  She did not find it anywhere as amusing as I did and even got a "Stop teasing that lady" from my daughter who was watching it unfold.  lol

Grandpa and Lydia.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »
Nice pre-party session Tom!  Happy Birthday to Lydia!!

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »
She’s getting big.

Hannah should let you have your fun.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
 You need to keep a fish stashed in a cooler somewhere for ''KAREN'' at the guard shack, then ask her for more ice ;D ;D ;D

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 02:18:31 PM »
Granddaughter!!!

You are an old Bastid!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 05:26:30 PM »
Sounds like a fun morning. You got a lotta nerve playing with the guard, most certainly worth it for my entertainment.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 08:13:33 AM »
Nice session! That's either the same butt, or they both got the same camo from the surplus store!