Author Topic: The "5" B's  (Read 6623 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The "5" B's
« on: August 10, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »
Well, well well... I'm on route to Cabo with the family and will be fishing down there tomorrow.  I decided to get a little MB practice in today and had a load of fun although I need to work on my "Jetty Swinging" issues...

I headed out at O' Dark Thirty under the super moon light.  Lots of bait around, but nothing really swiping it.  The first bite was a BIG bonito!  This bee-atch was ripping drag like no ones business and by the time I got it to the jetty's edge, I tried swinging it up the rocks to throw in the cooler for shark bait in the future, just to have it shake off on the try and swim away.  It wasn't huge, but it was a legit one around 20".

I then hooked another about 15 minutes later on the same mini-megabait just to have the same thing happen!  WTF!?!?  They were both blind strikes as there was no surface activity, although this bonito was only about 16".

I switched up baits to a Cabela's Real Image sppon (1oz) thinking I might have better luck holding on to the fish with a bigger hook.  I got a bite, but realized it was no bonito.  This one shook off as I swung it also, but the rocks caught him long enough for a pic.  Unfortunately, It was only about 14" which made it smaller than my first two bonito!

I then hooked another bonito around 16" and went to sling him up the rocks just to shake loose and swim away!  Damn it!  Strike three!!!!!

I moved locations as I needed to change my luck.  I found all three bass, although nothing was over 10".  The spotted bass looks bigger in the pic, but trust me... out of the 6 bass caught, it was the biggest...

2 Turd Rollers

3 pee-pee Calico

I switched to my plastic rod and caught a spotty to complete the trifecta and the Five Bay B's.

I called it quits soon after as I had to pack and get on my way down south.  Hopefully everyone caught fish today and be sure to post your catch.  I watched about 200+ boats head out tuna fishing today which made me sad I wasn't going, but happy I wasn't fishing in that parking lot.

Hopefully I can add to my life list this week and get a lot of photos.

-'Til next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xpoc

• Shovelnose
  • Amat Victoria Curam
    • View Profile
Re: The "5" B's
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Fun Fun Fun. I have never fished off the rocks at MB, you make it look so easy ;D I need to get out there and give it a try.

Have a fun safe trip! I look forward to the report.  8)
BAT FIGHT!!! SD4TH3W1N 2016

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
I count barracuda as a B. I count Halibut as an H. I think I will count the 3 lost fish with an F for Farmed.

Have a great trip to Cabo.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
I count barracuda as a B. I count Halibut as an H. I think I will count the 3 lost fish with an F for Farmed.

Have a great trip to Cabo.

"B" as in BUTT! :P

thanks!  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:45:02 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Bob Benner

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:59 AM »
I hear being a good "SWINGER" can get you in lots of trouble!!! ;D ;D Nice Variety Tom, look forward to some Cabo pics.