Author Topic: South Bay Sessions (6/25)  (Read 1305 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
South Bay Sessions (6/25)
« on: June 25, 2023, 08:02:37 PM »
The wind screwed up my Bluefin trip, so needed to get some fishing in.  Damn wind was going to be brutal and there was a triathlon at the front of the bay which left one plan.... The South SD Bay.

There was a lot of bait and a few birds back there in the bad tides, but one thing was for sure... the water was dirty.  The wind was blowing first thing and we tried all of our usual spots.  I couldn't get one to stick and Squatch kept picking away at them.  It wasn't long before the count was 8:1 in favor of Steve. (I could almost hear Kogahead laughing in the distance, or maybe it was just one of the navy vessels dumping their bilge)

Then Squatch stalled... and I started making up ground.

We both lost something big with teeth that swam off with our lures.  I'm pretty sure I saw mine which looked like a nice vina, but the cloudy water obscured the clear view.  Steve had some interesting hits which might have been bonito or I'm really not sure.  The only issue was he lost his last "Money Bait" color.  It definitely was the go to color for the morning and I didn't have that color.

We had a lot of fun with what was a REALLY a slow morning of fishing.  We found some shallow water boiling bass and both capitalized.  I thought I hooked a nice halibut, but turned into a 16" turd roller in 3-4 feet of water.  Probably the biggest roller that far back in such shallow water!

We were joking earlier about a 30 fish day back there is a pretty bad day, and all we could muster was 2 dozen before the wind drove us off.

Well, there was nothing too exciting caught, but we did have a giant sea turtle that kept popping up next to us every now and then!  I just wish it stayed up long enough for a picture, but they are spooky bastards.  lol

Well, great fishing with you Steve as usual.  The order might be a little mixed up, but thankfully I can tell Kogahead my lucky streak continues.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 07:14:00 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: South Bay Sessions (6/25)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 02:45:36 AM »
I'll say it again, I wish we had a big bay up here.  Bummer about the wind, but 24 ain't a bad day   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 12:45:32 PM »
Tempting me all the more to make a trip down there. 24 fish is a tough day…

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 05:51:17 AM »
Tempting me all the more to make a trip down there. 24 fish is a tough day…

Probably one of our lowest number days that I ever recalling.  To be fair, it was an absolute terrible tide we were fishing and the water was pretty muddy from days of 20 knot winds.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:04:50 PM »
24 each is still a pretty slow day.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 08:20:34 AM »
If it ain't the rain, it's the wind, Summer is definitely off to a slow start this year. Steve's smile means you guys had fun regardless of the low numbers :)