Author Topic: Can't make fun of my wippy Ugly Stik and coffee grinder any more!  (Read 2984 times)

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
Ok Tom, if you see this rod tip move you know it's either a fish or a kelp monster ;D

Not 100% thrilled with the position of the reel lug add on for my harness, but I'll make it work ;D

I'll do a complete write up once I get the chance to use it a couple of times, but it sure feels like it wants a minimum of 6oz + a big chunk of bait. It's not as stiff as Tom's heaver, but at only $120, I think she'll get 'er done 8)

Anybody have an emergency beer?

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Can't make fun of my wippy Ugly Stik and coffee grinder any more!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Lol your more man than I am. That fugger is the definition of a broomstick. I didn't like it one bit. I bought that one, then moved back to the 4-10 oz model. I took it to the beach for a strictly casting session and couldn't get the rod to load more than the tip with 8 and 10 oz torpedoes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:02:19 PM by Fish Jerk »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »
Take slo-mo video of the cast. If it's anything like my Rainshadow, it will show it's true flexibility.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »
Is that a Battalion? If so, that's what I use. This distance between reel seat to butt is stupid. Took a hacksaw and cut down 6 inches off the butt end. Used a black rubber chair leg cap (can't remember size but snug fit) from home depot as the butt end after cut. Distance is perfect.

Cheers!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-7-8-in-Black-Rubber-Leg-Tips-4-per-Pack-49127/203661030

Just looked again and I may be rated to one size lighter, but the reel seat issue is still the same.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:57:53 PM by WheresMyBeer »

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
Is that a Battalion? If so, that's what I use. This distance between reel seat to butt is stupid. Took a hacksaw and cut down 6 inches off the butt end. Used a black rubber chair leg cap (can't remember size but snug fit) from home depot as the butt end after cut. Distance is perfect.

Cheers!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-7-8-in-Black-Rubber-Leg-Tips-4-per-Pack-49127/203661030

Just looked again and I may be rated to one size lighter, but the reel seat issue is still the same.

Wow, you must have shorter arms than I do. I don't have any problem with handle length. I actually have my left hand right at the bottom when casting. The length is there to facilitate your left hand pull during the cast which increases the tip speed for better distance.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »
Take slo-mo video of the cast. If it's anything like my Rainshadow, it will show it's true flexibility.

Your Rainshadow felt much stiffer than this and I watched you cast that, it bent ;D

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »

Cheers!

Reel does seem to be a little high, but I'm not really planning on trying to fight anything of any size with it without a fighting belt and harness. When I had the cancer cut out of the ring finger on my left hand it really hurt my grip strength, so trying to hold the rod with my left and reel right isn't going to work for anything with size or for a prolonged time. That's one of the reasons I stuck with the coffee grinder for so long, I could reel left and hold on the the rod right. It'll be a learning process.

How did taking 6 inches off the butt affect casting distance/performance?

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
Lol your more man than I am. That fugger is the definition of a broomstick. I didn't like it one bit. I bought that one, then moved back to the 4-10 oz model. I took it to the beach for a strictly casting session and could get the rod to load more than the tip with 8 and 10 oz torpedoes.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve involved. Bottom line, I want to be able to chuck 8 and a good sized piece of bait 50-60 yards. Anything over 70 would just be gravy :)

Oh, and I'm tired of watching my rod tip bounce all over the place with every little wave, breeze, and/or critter that hits it. If this thing starts to move, I'll know it's time to get off my ass ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:22:47 AM »
Oh, and I'm tired of watching my rod tip bounce all over the place with every little wave, breeze, and/or critter that hits it. If this thing starts to move, I'll know it's time to get off my ass ;D

;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

Cheers!

Reel does seem to be a little high, but I'm not really planning on trying to fight anything of any size with it without a fighting belt and harness. When I had the cancer cut out of the ring finger on my left hand it really hurt my grip strength, so trying to hold the rod with my left and reel right isn't going to work for anything with size or for a prolonged time. That's one of the reasons I stuck with the coffee grinder for so long, I could reel left and hold on the the rod right. It'll be a learning process.

I've done this as well and I regret it. Like Dave, I had a hard time adjusting to having the reel seat sit up so high on the rod, so, I cut off 6" on 3 of my surf rods and was happy to be able to cast like I was a throwing a surface iron on a party boat. when I bought my Carnage II rods, I decided to leave them alone and do my best to get used to the added length. Once I dialed in the proper way to cast a rod of that style, my casting distance far exceeds what I achieve with my cut down rods. There's no going back once they're cut. I say practice with it in stock form trying different styles of casts and see what works best before cutting.   
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »

No noticeable difference. But the fight is far more comfy.