Author Topic: Blew out a guide on my spinning rod  (Read 6556 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Blew out a guide on my spinning rod
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?

Verne, for my shock leader-to-top shot knot I've been using a spider hitch in the 40 lb. mono top shot and then tying the 80-100 lb. shock leader to that loop with a bristol knot.  You end up with 2 knots a few inches from each other, but they are both pretty low profile.  I'm going to research other options now though LOL
I'm open to any suggestions!

That's what I have been using for ages when I do mono to mono. Guide damage is always in the back of my mind. I used loop to loop connections when I used braid, but I found my braid was getting shredded in certain areas so I made the switch back to mono.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »
That's awesome, way cool of you joe 8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 09:15:29 AM »
Locked N Loaded  8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 09:04:19 PM »
Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?

I tried a few new ones and settled on the Albright knot to try now. Tied up really easy and stays very slim.

BackBayMan

• Leopard
  • Always lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:29 AM »
I know it's not the prettiest but...

I blew out the same guide on my Sealine 12'. Picked up a replacement guide at Longfin for $2.50. Not the exact one but pretty close. Cut one side of the old thread/epoxy off, pulled the broken guide, slid in the new one and electrical tapped it in place. Rube Goldberg for sure but I gave it to a buddy and he's caught a lot of fish with it the past couple of years and it's still going strong :-[
Anybody have an emergency beer?

LONGCAST JOE

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
I know it's not the prettiest but...

I blew out the same guide on my Sealine 12'. Picked up a replacement guide at Longfin for $2.50. Not the exact one but pretty close. Cut one side of the old thread/epoxy off, pulled the broken guide, slid in the new one and electrical tapped it in place. Rube Goldberg for sure but I gave it to a buddy and he's caught a lot of fish with it the past couple of years and it's still going strong :-[

Rube Goldberg , lol...you are a science geek for sure Chip.