Author Topic: Frustration (9/17)  (Read 2015 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Frustration (9/17)
« on: September 18, 2021, 08:20:01 AM »
I was certain this time the boat would run, but with the Bay Fair going on at MB, I thought it would be good to run it hard in the SD Bay...  Launched super happy and confident, but that didn't last as it started beeping only a few hundred feet from the ramp.  The level of sadness that swept over me was like a collapsing building.

I decided to stay close by and duke it out to try and give myself a lift.  I was hoping for a nice halibut, but wasn't going to be picky.  I found about a dozen small PP bass in the shallower water and just decided to try deeper.  There were a lot in the deeper water and they were all quality sized for SD back bay standards.  By the time I talked to Dave at 9:30am, I had 37 already with 75% of them being quality fish.

I made a run up to the bridge, but soon as I started slowing it down, it would stall and die.  Fish were up here also.

Good quality ones too.

Every spot I ran to had some bass, but more in the deeper water.  I thought this was weird since it was high tide and generally the bass mover shallower to hunt on the high tide and get to deeper water at low tide. (At least in my observations)

Lure Eating contraption.....

There were a lot of vagabond boats out there.  Some were sideways beached and others looked like Islands of Turds.

Saw this and got a chuckle though...

Aye Aye, Captain!

I just basically drifted at the end and just plucked away.  Final tally on the fish counter was 58... all spotted bay bass.  Not a single calico, turd roller, halibut or even a mackerel.

I didn't fish long as I needed to empty the boat AGAIN before taking it in.  I had a cool talk with a Game Warden when I got back and he was even trying to figure out why my motor was doing that.  In any case, I don't remember seeing him before, but was a cool dude and a fun conversation to at least lighten my mood.  Then saw some fresh Coat Guard guys practicing getting their boat on the trailer.  Not really sure, but I had 4 Prehistoric Soul stickers in the truck and hooked them up.  They seemed pretty stoked about it.

Well, threw everything back in the garage and ended up in an awfully familiar spot.

Thanks for reading...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration (9/17)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
Big woof…….so sorry to hear the trouble continues. Nice count on quality bass though.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:44:43 AM »
Once again Tom, bummed about your engine troubles.  What's the deal with the boats, are they abandoned or do people live on them?  Looks pretty ghetto   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:35:08 AM »
Once again Tom, bummed about your engine troubles.  What's the deal with the boats, are they abandoned or do people live on them?  Looks pretty ghetto   :o

Military mooring.  Not sure if they leave and don't come back, or just leave for so long that the boat just rots out there?

As for the boat, I'm just crossing my fingers.  I could have bought a solo skiff for the amount I've dropped in this boat.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
 You and Squatch on a Solo Skiff :o ;D Hope your motor issues get resolved soon, you have had way too much down time this year :(

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »
Does the mechanic run the engine at high rpms in the shop when diagnosing the problem?

If yes and it works, then problem occurs when engine is under load (pushing the boat).

Does it happen at high rpm of low/moderate RPM?

Every cylinder or just certain repeatable cylinders cut out?

Typically starved for fuel is one of the problems.

I would replaces everything starting at the fuel tank right up to the injectors and see what happens.

Clean the injectors make sure the fuel tank internals are working correctly.

Only other issue could be a short or intermittent electrical problem when under load.

Good luck with that.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)