Author Topic: Just a Lot Of Runnin' Lately  (Read 1499 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Just a Lot Of Runnin' Lately
« on: July 16, 2022, 08:04:26 PM »
Been out on big blue water in search of gamefish 4 times in the past 2 weeks.

1st trip, saw some terns, then a pod of dolphins under them. Once I got closer I realized they were dolphin sized bluefin. First time seeing breezers so I was in utter disbelief but ready to practice patience and a timely presentation. Dropped a diamond jig on the slide in front of them and hooked up on 80#. School disappeared and I started getting dragged. After just a couple minutes the fish slowed. Threw the 2 speed into gear and started gaining lots of ground. Motoring toward the fish as well. I get the fish to color within 5 minutes and it looks like a solid 100lb+ fish. Got to a point where the fish wasn't circling, wasn't budging. In hindsight I was probably idling forward and it was dragging me steadily. Pumped with all my might to get it closer to the boat and then a pop. Tuna kicks, leaves my sight. Bent out stock hooks. Well now I know how much those 2x trebles can take!

A little later I saw another breezer. Pulled up on em and they dove down, but I saw them swimming under my boat. Easily a hundred 150lbers in aquarium conditions 20' under my boat. Makes you feel small.

A lot more motoring through the day but that was that. Probably zig zagged about 40 miles total.

Next couple trips were more boring. Heard about the dodos, tuna were on the move. Presented for both on a 45 mile high speed trolling loop without seeing anything, then landed and was on a 7 hour shift a couple hours later.

Another 35 mile loop, more patties but colder water. Saw a whale watching boat idling with people on the bow so I crossed their stern. A minute later I heard the captain grumbling on the radio about a sportfisher screwing up their wildlife. Kind of wondered if they were talking about me but I thought no, no way.

A few minutes go by and decide to say over the radio "Risso's dolphin a mile SW of the 14 if you're looking for 'em."

He quickly retorted "Daisy Chain and Spread Bar on the prop of the Coastal Adventure if you're looking for 'em."

Nope, I wasn't the kook today! Good long laugh from that...

Another 40 mile loop more around Palos Verdes on Thursday to do some whale watching with my lady. Saw a ton of very friendly dolphins. Water warmed from 62º over the Huntington Flat to 67º past the ridge.

I see one or two more windows this week before it gets too choppy for my tastes by Wednesday or so. Maybe then I can focus more on making money rather than spending it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 01:03:23 PM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Just a Lot Of Runnin' Lately
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 02:50:32 AM »
Maybe then I can focus more on making money rather than spending it.

It's a lot more fun spending it Jeremy.  Thanks for the write up, awesome read.  The hook up sounded like a hoot, even if you lost it in the end.  Respect
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »
Wow and Damn!  That would have been awesome to get that bluefin on a diamond jig. It's super exciting seeing dolphin and realizing they are big bluefin!

Great morning read Jeremy!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 11:16:34 PM »
I remember getting the play by play that day. “I’m aimlessly chasing birds”…..”I’m hooked up!” 😂 really bummed I couldn’t get out of work to join you.

Things really changed since then. This water is all over the place with temps and color. It’s looking better today and promising the next coming weeks for us guys who prefer to stay within 20 miles.

The yellowfin will be here and we’ll be on them in no time! Maybe not as big as the bluefin but at least they’ll fit in the fish bags.
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 07:49:53 AM »
I remember getting the play by play that day. “I’m aimlessly chasing birds”…..”I’m hooked up!” 😂 really bummed I couldn’t get out of work to join you.

Things really changed since then. This water is all over the place with temps and color. It’s looking better today and promising the next coming weeks for us guys who prefer to stay within 20 miles.

The yellowfin will be here and we’ll be on them in no time! Maybe not as big as the bluefin but at least they’ll fit in the fish bags.

Temps do look wonky right now. Was hoping that hurricane down south would have propelled that 68-72 water into 70-75 but it seems to have dropped.

I've been looking forward to the yellowfin for a while. Holding my breath they hang out close. Just pulled yet another 50 mile trip yesterday just for bottom fish so a trip to Izors next week sounds like a wonderful change of pace for my tail bone.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 07:06:43 PM »
 Spending money and seeing Mother Nature with your Lady is a good gig, live it up  8)