Author Topic: Worked Up a Variety 5/21  (Read 1231 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Worked Up a Variety 5/21
« on: May 21, 2023, 06:53:13 PM »
Got my lil 4hp Yamaha back from a local mechanic. Very simple fix, very reasonable cost. 6hp carb upgrade from ebay didn't fit so sticking with 4 for a while.

Woke at 0530. Launch and ride put me with lines in around 0820.

First wanted to check for reds and paisans. 300-400' water for the first hour or more. Very tough bite. Managed 2 sand dabs and a dink ass chili. Gentle breeze started blowing. Had to switch depths and judging by the drift I went shallow.

Coming to really like some of these spots. Took some work but put together a nice little pick bite.

Don't normally keep sculpin cuz of the whole pointy thing in the boat but really wanted to stock up on white meat today.

Put back the little rockfish though. Grow big, Red!

Big thunk! Missed one aggressive bite earlier, this one stuck. Thinking big grump. Nope.

Ike jime'd it and the red instantly popped out.

Thought I would be indundated with skrillas but this was my one for the day.

Silver bass.

Luck was running thin so headed toward my bass area. Picked off 3 including a keeper. Then next thing I know, my braid is past the spool lip and into the gears. First time that's happened on the Avet. Didn't have my spare 20-30# rod for the first time this year and wish I did, day ender. But 1230 is a good time to be done fishing. So that was that. I'll pop it open in a bit. Good day though. I'll trade outboard issues for days like that.

That sheep looks good for 2 nights of dinner.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Worked Up a Variety 5/21
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 07:23:28 PM »
 Nice variety, Taco Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:51:50 AM »
Glad you're back on the water
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 06:20:27 AM »
It's so nice to see the Mosquito reports again!  Nice white meat fishing Jeremy! 

My year has been off to a really slow start with a lot of near skunks, so watching someone else catch fish is refreshing.  How are you preparing the sheepshead?  I've tried multiple ways but have yet to find my favorite recipe.  I'm willing to try a new way to cook them.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 09:50:07 AM »
It's so nice to see the Mosquito reports again!  Nice white meat fishing Jeremy! 

My year has been off to a really slow start with a lot of near skunks, so watching someone else catch fish is refreshing.  How are you preparing the sheepshead?  I've tried multiple ways but have yet to find my favorite recipe.  I'm willing to try a new way to cook them.

Might steam it if I remember to grab the stuff from the store. Otherwise I’ll put it in the oven with lemon and butter and serve with so kind of pasta.