Author Topic: Zag 2/8  (Read 2166 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Zag 2/8
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »
Last week went SW, today decided to look SE. Launched out of Huntington about 0800. Birds all over the ramp.

Mallards!

Osprey pair doing their thing as always, with 3 cameramen strewn about the parking lot putting in their hours...

Aja and Steve!

Hit the biting stone from last week and nabbed 3 bass in about 40 minutes. 12-14", no tacos yet.

Started east and stopped a couple times on the way to Izor's. Found a nice school of false bottom...

Didn't touch a trolled LC or a sabiki.

Further along there was a lot of baitfish popping on the surface and no bird or dolphin activity so dropped the sabiki and pulled out 4 small anchovies. Salt curing them and using them for deep drop bait soon.

Got to Izor's and picked off 2 calicos, one being a hog-tied legal. Dinner for one!

Top of the tide, so figured the scratch bite would turn all the way off. Moved to some shallower spots to see how the fish were stacking over there. Not much there as I imagined, but tried sabiki and trolled the LC to poke around for micro stuff and halibut. The keeper calico threw up a squid so I was even able to cut a small chunk of that up and tip the sabiki. No bites though.

Headed in about noon. Some modest returns but got a better feel of the winter water.

Back at the ramp I was trying to take a picture of Steve and he pooped on somebody's outboard. The nerve.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Zag 2/8
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 03:43:39 PM »
Not the first time I’ve pooped on an outboard.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 05:17:09 AM »
Not the first time I’ve pooped on an outboard.

🤪🤪🤪
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 06:27:56 AM »
That's a lot of chovie!  ...and if it puked up a squid, look for the squid beds.  Get yourself a squid jig!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 10:20:01 AM »
That's a lot of chovie!  ...and if it puked up a squid, look for the squid beds.  Get yourself a squid jig!

I’ve been keeping my eye out for squid beds on the FF and haven’t seen the “fuzz” on the screen yet. I did see a few scattered translucent type objects around but nowhere near dense enough to call it a whole bed. Next time I’ll drop the squid jig down to confirm.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 03:31:59 PM »

I’ve been keeping my eye out for squid beds on the FF and haven’t seen the “fuzz” on the screen yet. I did see a few scattered translucent type objects around but nowhere near dense enough to call it a whole bed. Next time I’ll drop the squid jig down to confirm.

The best fishing is actually when there aren't a million of them around.  I find the bigger game fish compete for the fewer that are around and the squid come and go in waves.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 06:35:35 AM »
 What's with the banana ::) ::) Surprised Tom hasn't lectured you on the subject ;D ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 02:26:30 PM »
What's with the banana ::) ::) Surprised Tom hasn't lectured you on the subject ;D ;D

One of my resolutions this year is to bring more bananas on my boat and fight off one of the few superstitions I’ve followed my whole fishing life. Gonna make my own luck!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »

One of my resolutions this year is to bring more bananas on my boat and fight off one of the few superstitions I’ve followed my whole fishing life. Gonna make my own luck!

Don't do it... You have been warned......

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 05:57:35 PM »
Bananas are good luck!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 12:25:26 PM »

I’ve read into the traditional reasons for no bananas on board and they make sense in the light of pre 20th century voyages and general food storage process. Causing other fruits to spoil quickly on long voyages, bringing spiders and termites, and they’re sometimes the last thing floating in the water after a ship is capsized so seen as an omen.

I heard whistling is also bad luck which I assume is a captain being driven bat sh!t crazy by a mate’s terrible whistling.

What did bananas do to hurt you, Tom?

And keep it PG…

Mike now lobbying for bananas so as to become the chief PSoul banana supplier.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 12:27:18 PM »

I’ve read into the traditional reasons for no bananas on board and they make sense in the light of pre 20th century voyages and general food storage process. Causing other fruits to spoil quickly on long voyages, bringing spiders and termites, and they’re sometimes the last thing floating in the water after a ship is capsized so seen as an omen.

I heard whistling is also bad luck which I assume is a captain being driven bat sh!t crazy by a mate’s terrible whistling.

What did bananas do to hurt you, Tom?

And keep it PG…

Mike now lobbying for bananas so as to become the chief PSoul banana supplier.

I have the trees in the backyard! I'll make sure Tom gets 1st dibs.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)