Author Topic: Contests?  (Read 2280 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Contests?
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »
So, I want to get some contests going this year, but lacking funding to get any prizes together.  Would you guys all be up for donating something to make prize packs for a few contests like in the old SCSF raffles?  Or would you rather just skip it? 

Maybe people can check into their local tackle shops and see if they donate anything that I will advertise their business on the contest thread to show our support?

Just dropping ideas here.  Feel free to brain storm here also so we can get something together.

Some ideas for contests:

-Most sharks for the year

-Biggest Shark of the Year

-Biggest Catfish of the Year

-Biggest Bat Ray of the Year

-Biggest Leopard Shark of the Year

-Biggest Gamefish of the Year

....just brainstorming....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Contests?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
I got an excess of fillet knives. Can toss a couple as prizes.

Biggest game fish is iffy as a tuna or YT will outclass anything else on pure size.  Now something like Fish of Amazing  Magnitude where your fish so far outstrips other of the same species wins.

So let's say you land a 100 lb blue cat and nobody else got anything remotely like that you win. If many 7 gills are landed and the winner is only 2 inches over second it isn't a FOAM.

Needs to be fishing that anyone can do. Take a 10 day long range trip you will not have much competition.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:56:18 PM by spideyjg »

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
The majority of the prizes ive seen on scsf is stuff i would never even use or want.
For example fillet knives.. i dont need fillet knives,  i have that covered and they would  just sit in a box.
Though someone else may love that as a prize.
Im just saying its way to easy to get unwanted stuff .
Its hard to beat a gift card so you can pick out whatever you want. Tackle direct, tackle warehouse, bass pro or some other more common online retailers...
Since we are a small community at this time i feel you can only have maybe 3 contests tops due to a lack of donations.
Just a thought:
Vote on the top 3 categories as contests.
Each person competing puts in 5 bucks per catagory sent via paypal.
Just my thoughts/2 cents..

FISH86R

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
If you're gonna do it for the year all drop a $100 to the cause.. Meaning towards prizes.. Not a raffle.. I'll pm you next time I shoot down to SD...

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
10ft Rainshadow Tuna Popper custom built with Batson components. Will be wrapped or marbled in YOUR colors and I can also slap YOUR name on it. Tom, your call which category will win this.  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
10ft Rainshadow Tuna Popper custom built with Batson components. Will be wrapped or marbled in YOUR colors and I can also slap YOUR name on it. Tom, your call which category will win this.  8)
That's awesome Len! Thanks boss!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:12:34 AM »
I'll start fine tuning and thinking what to do.  It will probably be another surf shark tourney and a catfish tourney (slow shark summer months) for sure.  I'll probably get something up here in the next few weeks and add to it as we go.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »
Can we do a buy in?

$25 buy ins for each category.

I’d like to add largest Mako and thresher from shore. (Sand and jetty only, inside ca. State lines) if anyone will buy in.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »
I'm trying to figure it all out, but have a good idea of what I want to do.  I'm a little busy at the moment since they are rebuilding my retaining wall that collapsed after all of the heavy rains, but will probably put something up for a vote soon.