Author Topic: Last Stop Cure (7/1)  (Read 1445 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Last Stop Cure (7/1)
« on: July 02, 2023, 11:23:12 AM »
Got recent intel of the latest local BFT and we headed out looking for our first tunas of the year.  We left the ramp at 3:00 am and picked up some incredible bait!  Our goal however was to get them on the Madmacs since we are like 0-12 on those damn lures.

We were in the right spot as the cattle boats were all around us.  We metered quite a few wolf packs, but couldn't get any to come up to take the baits or trolled lures.

I finally got picked up on a fly lined dine, but it spit it before I could get the hook in the corner of it's mouth...  The boats started dispersing in all directions about 10:00 am, so apparently looking for biting tuna.  I can't believe we had a rubber band rig and drop shot bait rigs right on the tuna, but they didn't want ti bite at depth.

We fished a bunch of paddies for nothing.  Water was so clear you could see 30-40 feet down.

Then while trolling the madmac, I get slammed!  My buddy kept the boat running in gear to try and get a double hookup, but all it did was drag my fish right into a small kelp paddy and the fish popped off.  Teeth marks on the Madmac was my only reward.

Too many boats out there.  Not quite a parking lot, but with so many trolling for BFT, it takes away a few hundred yards behind every boat.

We even trolled the spreader bar, but raised nothing.

At one paddy, I decided to see where my braid was on the old Avet.  YIKES!

I let out all the line and reeled it back up all tight and perfect.

It was late, but my buddy didn't want to quit and kept trolling until he marked a bigger pack of tuna.  We killed the motor and sent out sinker rigs and flyline sardines.  (Bait was incredible and not a single one rolled over all day).

You can see on the sonar the school rushing up after we brailed a few baits as chum.

Fish on and I was a little nervous since it hit the 25# rig.  It was a patient battle and so much nicer getting them on bait than trolling gear!

I didn't waste any time and pinned on another bait.  I was going to retie, but knew this may be a quick bite.  Soon as the bait hit the water, it was grabbed and screamed out!  Bigger model!

Took my time and got the good gaff shot.

Nothing Huge, but nothing small so I was pretty stoked!  I got picked up again, but it didn't grab the hook this time.  My buddy got picked up a few times, but the same thing, just short biting the horse dines.

Then they were gone....  so we wrapped it up and headed back to the barn.  It was a long ass day, but at least we'll be eating some fresh BFT this 4th of july!

Have a great weekend everyone!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Last Stop Cure (7/1)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
Throw the madmacs away they are total sh!t.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 02:44:16 PM »
Glad you found some biters! Good looking fish too. Cool seeing them coming up to check out the chum on the FF.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »
Hell yeah, congrats!  8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 05:54:26 AM »
Stoked for ya, great read
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 06:22:19 AM »
 Never give up !  Nice Sonar shots 8) 8) How do you like the new Rod and reel ?