Author Topic: Hot in Cold 2/17  (Read 1833 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Hot in Cold 2/17
« on: February 17, 2023, 05:19:09 PM »
54º water temps all day. Woof!

Fish didn't mind!

Kinda yanked myself around last night, thought I might launch from Dana Point and deep drop, then bounce ball, then meet up to buy a thing off somebody over there. By the time I was done with work last night I had the car loaded up and went to the only ATM on my way home and it timed out before my cash withdrawal, so I said f@ck it, I'm not meeting the guy to buy the thing, so I'm not going to Dana.

Out Huntington harbor 0800. Saw a humpback right at the jetty as I was coming out. Whoa! I saw one a couple years ago behind the LB breakwall but ever since have not seen a whale on any part of the Huntington Flat. Only popped up once which made me question it, and kept looking for a few minutes for it to pop up to no avail.

Had the deep drop rod on the boat but wasn't sure if I'd use it. Rigged it anyway and brought the cured anchovies from last week. Also built a PVC seat and it's great, but needs some more revisions. It holds my weight which is what really matters.

Got to a muddy patch and dropped a 2lb bounce ball rig. Surprisingly had trouble keeping contact with bottom, with the morning NE wind causing a little trouble. Was immediately sick of using 2lbs, switched to 1lb. Cured my fatigue but not the contact with bottom. Pretty frazzled at this point with my intentions for the day, so fell back on what's been working lately. Moved from 70-80' to 40-50' and switched rods to 12oz. Immediately got bit by a nice grump.

Proceeded to get into a steady pick on short turds. Seemed to be the same 11" slender specimen over and over. Picked off another legal but the bite stuttered at a count of 9. Got a good bite and it came unbuttoned halfway up, then realized the split ring had come undone. Stock Lucky Craft split ring! And had another split ring on another lure get bent out of shape and had to pull that hook. So I'll be doing some split ring work this weekend.

Tried a couple different spots, got a short bite or two, but came back to the alpha spot after letting it cool down for an hour. Picked off 6 more, including one more keeper.

Only calico of the day. The turds were in like rabbit turds today.

And this one deserves recognition for its efforts.

Got back to the harbor around 1300. Halibut will just have to lay in wait til another day. They actually seem a little too content with that plan...

3 for dinner. I made some sand bass salad last night (like a tuna salad except...) and it came out nice. Might do that again if not tacos.

And speaking of piqued appetite, the last legal of the day had quite the meal before falling for a hard bait. I thought maybe it was chocked with squid, and I'm willing to believe the 2 left pieces are just that, but the one on the right was a pretty gross looking something-o-pod. Maybe Tom can ID it. It was squishy but firm. 3-4" long. The segments on its back make me think it once had a shell before being digested.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:09:13 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Hot in Cold 2/17
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 03:58:50 PM »

Looks like a Sea Cucumber to me.  I'll find those suckers usually around the rocks.  Supposedly a delicacy, but like hell I'll ever try it.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 03:59:36 PM »
Oh and nice fishing!  Current has been pretty strong the last few days.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 07:36:00 PM »
sea cucumber or chiton
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 07:37:10 PM »
Looks like a brain, probably from Arizona ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 08:37:59 PM »

Hm I did cut it open and it was hollow…you might be on to something.

Hahahahahahahaha

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 07:34:33 AM »

Hm I did cut it open and it was hollow…you might be on to something.

Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahaha, good one Tim! Hopefully Koga's doing well since he hasn't chimed in for a few days, but he'll enjoy this one.  ;D

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 07:54:14 AM »

Thought Tom would beat you to the comment.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 06:31:40 AM »

Thought Tom would beat you to the comment.

I'm either slipping or just being nice.   ;D