Author Topic: New Year, Cold Start 1/6,7  (Read 1739 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
New Year, Cold Start 1/6,7
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:16:12 PM »
Got out Thursday night for a couple hours of shark fishing in OC. First time out in about 2 weeks thanks to that set of storms. Realized that I haven't caught a fish since December 12.

Very foggy, no wind, nice mellow shore pound, no kelp. Warm night, if you've 3 layers on and a cigar in your mouth. Sewage wasn't an issue...bites were though. Squid was coming back clean as hell. Lost a new 8oz sputnik on a birdsnest mid cast. Moving up to 100# for the sinker line...8oz flies noticeably better than 7oz.

Had an interview with Daiwa Friday morning. Seemed like it went extremely well and things should move forward, but I hate to curse it. But I'm very excited at the prospect of leaving Amazon for the fishing industry. I'll say more when I hear more.

Afterward I threw the LC around behind the breakwall for 3 hours. One very short bite. Two very cold hands! A touch of bird action just out of casting range was a good sign. Some guy rolled up on a bike and told me there was yet another oil spill yesterday in the area and it's more apparent inside Alamitos Bay.

Oil, oil, sewage, oil! Lots of spills lately. Woof.

Took off my waders in the parking lot. 5 sessions deep with these cheap eBay waders and there were water spots all over my pants! I've got a steelhead trip lined up in two weeks and can't have that failing me while wading a frigid NorCal river, so I bit the bullet and purchased neoprene Hodgemans online before driving home. I like the Neoprene feel a lot more than the non-stretch nylon anyway, plus I like the warmth. And the hand warming pocket. My last Hodgemans lasted about 3 years, which is much better than 5 sessions IMO.

Here's a nice Midshipman that I found a seagull pecking at.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: New Year, Cold Start 1/6,7
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:25:39 AM »
With the exception of fishing the pier with my father, it's been slow off the sand for me also.  Couple questions:

What's going on with your boat motor?

Which river are you goona fish?  We used to fish for winter hold over steelhead in the south fork of the Salmon River
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:33:24 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »
I’m due to call the mechanic again but the new lower drive unit shipping estimate gets pushed back every time I ask. Started in October and last I checked should have arrived December 31. But even that date I doubt. It’s been torture…I’d like to take the boat down to the Sea of Cortez in April but at this point I’m wondering if that’s even reasonable.

I don’t think the fishing grounds are totally set for our steelhead trip, but it seems most likely that we will be fishing the Mad River.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 06:12:48 AM »
 Good luck on the career move 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
Yeah, pretty exciting about possibilities working with Daiwa! Good luck boss!
As for the cheap waders, good call on the upgrade. I have the cheap ones for down here and they work great, but probably would pay a terrible cost in frigid NorCal waters!
Thanks for the reporting Jeremy. We could use some more reports on here when people start getting out fishing again.
Also good luck with your motor. The mosquito is perfect for a Baja trip!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Working for a major tackle company sounds awesome! What do you do?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)