Author Topic: First taste of Soup  (Read 5154 times)

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
First taste of Soup
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
Took advantage of the little two day window of good weather we had and headed out in search of some Toothy ones. The only bait i could find was the white Norwegian mackerel like Tom mentioned in his post . I picked up a couple friends and we headed out , got to the water around 6:30 only to find everybody and their mom on the beach getting away from the heat , it was frustrating but WELL WORTH IT , we got away from the crowds and started casting small jigs and crocs to try and hook the small stuff that were boiling around . Believe it or not the first fish was a walleye perch and a toad , soooo on my hook he went  ::) , half on mine (of course the head) half on my friends. The baits were soaking for an hour at least with not even a bump . Decided to recast everything and still try for bait , i casted the same walleye head out . After about another 30 minutes and stocking up on a few good baits (another walleye and macs) my rod got THUMPED BIG TIME , i threw everything down and picked my rod up , felt the fish just slowly swimming and buried the circle home , the area we are fishing is VERY Sketchy too much structure and grass so when we hook up its pretty much a tug of war with the reels locked down at maximum drag . So this beast took off at least 70 yards on 25lbs of drag , MAJOR shakes and tailslaps , very intense fight with multiple directional changes , it was EPIC , i love SOUPIES . After about 5-6 minutes of dragging this beast through a potential minefield and with a HUGE crowd behind me Sean grabs the tail and drags this 67" Soupie up on the sand for me ! Thanx Sean!

After a few pictures which all came out super weird , i released the beast ASAP . She puked out her stomach , which made me feel bad , but i really don't know what to do , or how to prevent this . Hopefully they survive ? she bit her stomach a few times ...
20 minutes later , after calming down (i was breathing weird lol ) I casted another walleye head out lol , a little smaller . Approximately 30 minutes later something picks it up and starts heading towards catalina , i set the hook and it starts running back now towards the beach , barely keeping up i gained tension , another 2-3 minutes she was on the sand as well, 50" walleye head hunting soupie.

Awesome night , it was VERY COOL pulling on these beauties , hopefully they are both doing well now !
Both fish were caught on an incoming High , full moon (or pretty darn close), and on Walleye head.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:24:52 PM by EdgarP9 »

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: First taste of Soup
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »
Nice fish Edgar!  So cool to see them caught on unconventional baits!  Going to have to open my mind to other bait options, especially if they are fresh.
Can't wait to hook a soupfin!

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »
Nice fish Edgar!  So cool to see them caught on unconventional baits!  Going to have to open my mind to other bait options, especially if they are fresh.
Thanx Chad , I've always liked throwing whatever i catch from the area even for wels catfish in my country , everybody would use weird store bought baits , but i would just catch a carp or two and chunk them  ::)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
Congrats Edgar on your first Soupies!  They are definitely a lot more fun than the 7-gills to fight in and give you quite the adrenaline rush.  The good thing is they usually roam in small wolf packs, so where there is one, there is usually a few more.

As for the stomach, one of mine puked it out also and I just cut the wire and got her back fast as possible.  I'm not sure what damage that does, but it was only my second Soupie to do that.  Best to get them back as you did ASAP to increase the chances.  I heard they swallow the prolapsed stomach as it is a natural way for them to puke out what they consider a harmful swallowed food source, but I have no direct evidence to support it.

Congrats boss, I will keep updating the list.  I haven't posted it yet as Windows 10 crashed my bootleg copy of Photoshop and won't allow me to make a JPEG out of the list.  I had a friend who found a way to get Windows 10 to accept it, so I should have the list reposted here soon as I get it operating on the computer again.

Once again, congrats on those nice soups!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
Congrats Edgar on your first Soupies!  They are definitely a lot more fun than the 7-gills to fight in and give you quite the adrenaline rush.  The good thing is they usually roam in small wolf packs, so where there is one, there is usually a few more.

As for the stomach, one of mine puked it out also and I just cut the wire and got her back fast as possible.  I'm not sure what damage that does, but it was only my second Soupie to do that.  Best to get them back as you did ASAP to increase the chances.  I heard they swallow the prolapsed stomach as it is a natural way for them to puke out what they consider a harmful swallowed food source, but I have no direct evidence to support it.

Congrats boss, I will keep updating the list.  I haven't posted it yet as Windows 10 crashed my bootleg copy of Photoshop and won't allow me to make a JPEG out of the list.  I had a friend who found a way to get Windows 10 to accept it, so I should have the list reposted here soon as I get it operating on the computer again.

Once again, congrats on those nice soups!
Thanx a lot for the feedback and inspiration  ;). Im having a lot of fun with these beautiful creatures .

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »

Nothing unconventional about catching the fish in the area and using them as bait. I've had no luck with croakers though.

Jim

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:51:47 PM »

Nothing unconventional about catching the fish in the area and using them as bait. I've had no luck with croakers though.

Jim

I guess unconventional is the wrong word.  I just meant something other than mackerel LOL

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »
Nice congrats on those soups Edgar! sure is fun to grab the tail...  I also scored a cool mini model around 30" with some nasty teeth!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
Bad a$$!!!!!!!!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

EdgarP9

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
Thanx guys

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
Yep. Soupfin are fun. Wish I could keep one on the hook these days.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »

It's OK Steve, your still number two on the shark list.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »

That's not ok.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:54 AM »
Dang dude, you were the "man" on the light rod with an LC...................seems now you're the "man" with the long rods!!!  Congrats my brother  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 06:08:44 AM »

That's not ok.

No, it's OK.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.