Author Topic: Toad Calico On The LC And More AM Report 6/21/16  (Read 1500 times)

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Toad Calico On The LC And More AM Report 6/21/16
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Crazy session on the sand today! Wow, where do I begin? I'll try to explain the events as they happened.

Arrived at the AO this morning to nice conditions. Except the seaweed was still a problem out there. The water temp was to perfection, the water just felt incredible. Surf was lower than yesterday which was a good sign though, and the surge wasn't as bad. This morning I wanted to try an LC with two hooks only to cut down on the seaweed on every cast. Switched to the 110 LC as the area Im fishing, I'm feeling the 115 scrape the bottom. I'm so glad I picked the 110 today.

Okay, so it's dark out Moon was out with a few clouds, visibility still great. I start casting and I look out and see a seal sticking his head out of the water, I said a few cuss words to myself and casted the other direction. Then I see another seal. Right then and there I said I'm out of there.
Went right over to another spot which isn't to close to the original spot. But it looked very fishy. Started casting and slow pause retrieve, not much salad on the casts, YES! Cast out again and in close I feel a tap, I could see it was a Halibut but couldn't tell the size. I froze, watched the fish play with it for a good 5 to 7 seconds I reacted, not to hard but tried setting the hook and missed it. Was cool to see the way they chew on the lure up close though. Another cast and boom I see a Seal. That's when I said you know I'm just going to go back to the first spot and try casting and just forget the seals. Least I knew there was baitfish around. I made one last cast and hooked a big stringer of seaweed and eased it in and didn't lose my lure.

Back to the first spot and now it's first light. I retied and ran out to cast. The very first cast which was a good cast too. BAM!!!! I feel a huge slam. Drag starts to go and it's not stopping, adjusted the drag accordingly, rod tip bent. What a feeling the drag wouldn't stop though, not a fast pulling but steady I could make no ground on whatever was on the line. Finally after 10 minutes of the drag pulls I start to make little ground. To make a long story short. I could feel the tugs and it felt like a beast when all of a sudden I thought I lost it. Then I'm gaining ground and something was still on the line. But no more drag pulls. As I get it closer I see what looked like a Sandbass and lost it in close. Did I fight the seal taking my fish?? I'm glad I retied LOL. I'm glad I got my lure back and if that's what happened I beat the SEAL!

Ran back in to retie and time is running out before work. Made a nice cast over some breakers and I feel a very nice hit! Wham. This was pulling some drag as well but nothing like before. After a nice battle I was happy to catch this nice Calico. Something different every day out there! My adrenaline was so pumped during that fight.

Here's the Calico pics. 19 Inches

Only tape I had with me.

Then I see the front hook was all tangled up with the line and I didn't lose the lure that time either! lol   2 hooks really helped less seaweed this morning.

Grump

Conditions

Fish was released to catch another day. I read that it takes years for the fish that size to get that big. Was happy with my consolation. But what had my line before?  I was thinking about it all day at work. A big Halibut? LOL  Ok day dreaming maybe just a little.

Fun morning that's for sure. Thanks for reading and good luck out there.

Until next tide.

Joel

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Toad Calico On The LC And More AM Report 6/21/16
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:09:18 AM »
Beautiful Grump, Joel!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.